Cover of 1979 with the first use of a compressor

Anthrax said:
after finding out the wonders of compression, i just whipped up this cover of 1979(the pumpkins) and i was surprised how nice my recording sounded. i have compression on the vocals only, i dont think the guitars need it(or do they ?)

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~robert1234/music1/

1979(192).mp3 is the file.

Your acoustic sound is very nice. Where do you place your mic? The vocals & the song have a real live feel to them. Sounds like you're in the room playing. Sounds good.

A lot of times in my songs I like the sound of running the compressor on the a whole mix. Since every song is different, my only tip is to make a few mixes, try compressing different instruments/the whole mix, & just see which one you like most. Doesn't hurt to try things out ;)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Your acoustic sound is very nice. Where do you place your mic? The vocals & the song have a real live feel to them. Sounds like you're in the room playing. Sounds good.

A lot of times in my songs I like the sound of running the compressor on the a whole mix. Since every song is different, my only tip is to make a few mixes, try compressing different instruments/the whole mix, & just see which one you like most. Doesn't hurt to try things out ;)

What SnakeDog said. I noticed some noise around the 2:52 mark might wanna check also. Did you record the vox and guitar at the same time? Good tune..

Pretty damn good rendition!

I say compress the shit out of both guitars and vocals and compare the heavy compressed track with the virgin track and you'll be surprised at the warmth.

I'm a sucker for compression so, i say do the acoustic as well!

Good Mix

I like the tone/sound of your voice on this - very cool. And the effects/delay rides along nicely with the tune.

I like the guitar playing too - smooth....and well panned for fullness.

The compression is good on the vocals. I like the clarity/clean sound of the whole thing.

The guitars sound with no compression now (at least IMHO). But compression can add warmth - try adding some and post a second version and then we can compare.

Nice work! :D

I like what you are doing here alot.Guitars sound great to me.I'm a noob when it comes to using effects like compression on my mixes...just kinda roll the dice and see what happens,also helps to have a place like this were people are so great with sharing there wisdom/experience!
I love this song and you do a great job with your version.Thumbs up..nice work!!!

hey i listened to 1979(192).mp3

that is really good!

i'm really digging the tone of the guitar... i'm really envious!!! i wish i could record my guitar to sound like that!!! can i ask you how u recorded it????

vocals were ok. they definately sounded good in terms of it suited the style. but it felt a little shaky in places. were the lyrics change deliberate?

only suggestion you seemed to keep the melody quite steady. one of the things i liked about the original was the high bits like "and I....", maybe u should make the melody more dynamic...

but yeah, really liked this version. good stuff...

sandwiches said:
hey i listened to 1979(192).mp3

that is really good!

i'm really digging the tone of the guitar... i'm really envious!!! i wish i could record my guitar to sound like that!!! can i ask you how u recorded it????

vocals were ok. they definately sounded good in terms of it suited the style. but it felt a little shaky in places. were the lyrics change deliberate?

only suggestion you seemed to keep the melody quite steady. one of the things i liked about the original was the high bits like "and I....", maybe u should make the melody more dynamic...

but yeah, really liked this version. good stuff...

hey, thanks for the comments.

its just a yamaha mic going into my SB live platium, nothing special. i use Cool Edit pro 2.0. the guitar is a Morris Tornado GXX(hard to find)

i dont know what the actual lyrics are, i just used one of the lyric websites.

i would do that high bit, but i cant get to that higher E without fucking it up. i think i might get a vocal teacher or something

The compresser is a little heavy for this vocal preformance...brings out the pops in the mic too much and sibiance..Nice job on the tune!Get a pop filter and tilt the mic back a couple of degrees..pan your guits a little closer so the entry is a little smoother,maybe 11 and 1 0clock sounds like you got 'em at 9 and 3'ish now..good job great tune and all this is IMHO :)

Back