Country Rock - is the mix ok?

Robbi007

I’m new here. I co-wrote and recorded this with a couple of friends. I recorded the piano myself. Bernd, from Munich, added all the other instruments. Tara-Lynn from Australia contributed the vocals. Is the mix ok? Many thanks in advance.

Robert

COWBOY LAW
SoundClick artist: Rob B (GER) - Rob B. a songwriter from Germany

A cowboy rides into town
On a pale white horse
With a gun at his side
He’s a one man force

Down a long dusty street
Up to a saloon
As the clock in the town
Rings out high noon

He jumps off his horse
He stands there and shouts
The doors open up
Five men come out

Chorus:
When the guns go off
And the bullets fly
Someone’s gonna live
Someone’s gonna die
Shoot straight, aim true
Be quick on the draw
It’s the way of the West
It’s cowboy law

They ain’t about to give up
No, they ain’t coming in
Cause he’s all by himself
And they’ve got five men

They say: “you want one of us
Then you fight all five”
He says: “I’m bringin’ you in
Dead or alive”

It’s the end of the line
And I am the law
He goes for his gun
They all start to draw

Chorus

The cowboy draws first
His gun swings around
Five shots ring out
Five men go down

Chorus

Lyrics: Ray Bertram
Music: Robert Baitinger / Bernd Oettinger
Vocals & vocal arrangement: Tara-Lynn Sharrock
Piano: Robert Baitinger
All other instruments: Bernd Oettinger
Production & mix: Bernd Oettinger

Home | Robert Baitinger
Songwriter und Produzent produziert Ihren eigenen Song

To me sounds like you are over working the compressor when the kicks hit. It sounds like its pulling the rest of the music down with it on the hits. Could be Soundclick doing something to it, so may be nothing. See if anyone else hears it too.

Otherwise, it sounds good. Good vocals.

Sounds pretty good. I agree with Bruthish. It also sounds really centered and mono or something. I think I'm just use to hearing really wide songs.

I threesome agree....otherwise, good mix.

Open up the elements a bit...pan them out some, and then let the Kick kick a bit more.

Your singer has a great voice. I see she was on the Aussie X-Factor.
Ask her if she's looking for song material. ;)

Hey guys,
thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll forward what you guys said to the producer. I do agree with Bruthish that Soundclick does change the sound a lot.

Hey Miroslav, Tara-Lynn is actually looking for good songs and producers. I found her over in the "collaborate" section of songwriter101.com. You can send her a PM. She is absolutely awesome. She did the whole vocal arrangement of this song on her own. We've recorded a few song together during the past months.

Thanks again.

All the best
Robert

Vocal could have slightly more air (12k shelf) and be pushed up a little just where it gets stepped on by the band. The song is okay and the band sounds really good, playing and mix, but functionally they're really nothing more than generic backing music for the voice. The vocal is the interesting thing about the song so make it the center of attention.

I liked it. SOunds great. I hear the ssss alittle too much.....in the chorus i would put something on the right and use that stereo spectrum a little more. Also the versus need small fills again using the stereo spectrum. Country songs have a lot going in them but in very subtle ways. Another harmony in the chorus as well just to give it that kick. I wish I could produce this because the foundation is all there!!!!! sounds awesome

Ooh crushed quite a bit. Might need to go over the mastering a bit. Really great production there. I'd like a little bit more reverb on the vox maybe. But you've got it sounding a lot better than I could already, so I dunno haha

I’m not a mixing expert and that’s why I posted this song here. If I understand you guys correctly the sound is pretty good the way it is. Of course there is always room for improvement and it looks like the over-compression is the main thing that can still be optimized. I would like to thank you guys once again for all the suggestions so far.

All the best
Robert

Back