Country? Folky? Cheesy? Crappy? "We Got a Love" an old new original

maximusbs

Brad Smith Music

All four you say!
I've been sitting on this one for over a year - Perhaps I should have kept sitting! :o;)
It's very simple, very cheesy and a little sloppy. :)

Here's a remix with swingin drums by PI aka Jason:

Last edited:
Good R&R. Not Country, Folky, Cheesy or Crappy! More like 70's Rock to my 60 year old ears. Good engineering. What kind of mic are you using? I listened to "Saturday" and the vocal sounded like it had more mid's in it than "You". Both were good, just different. Great job! I enjoyed listening to your songs! Dave Chambliss

Good R&R. Not Country, Folky, Cheesy or Crappy! More like 70's Rock to my 60 year old ears. Good engineering. What kind of mic are you using? I listened to "Saturday" and the vocal sounded like it had more mid's in it than "You". Both were good, just different. Great job! I enjoyed listening to your songs! Dave Chambliss

Thanks for listening Dave. 70's rock I can live with :D! I'm glad you poked around my Soundcloud - if you compared the vocals on "Saturday" to the vocals on "You", then you've compared my voice to the real talent of Joe Mizzi. Lol - I don't compare :). He's done the vocals for a few of my songs.

The mics on the acoustic were nothing special (a SureBG4.1 condenser, and a Ber.C-1, both under $100 mics). I just used the X/Y recording setup (for the first time). You may know how to do it, but it's basically pointing one mic at the 12 the fret close, and the other at an angle toward the sound hole. The ideal would be to double the takes, but I was lazy with just one :).

I like this one a lot, Brad. It has a very cool, laid-back groove to it. Of course I think it would be better with real drums though...it seems tough to get the right kind of swing feel that a song like this needs with programmed drums. I would be happy to play some drums for this if you want (if some of the other, better drummers on here don't offer first :) )

PM me if you want me to take a crack at it.

Best,

Dave

Nice song Brad!
I love the groove of it, in fact the sloppy parts are due to the fact that the drums don't keep the cool funky groove. I would take up Dave's offer for real drums. The acoustic sounds nice and crisp. I would try to fill the background a bit more, maybe doubling the acoustics. One thing I like to do when I record acoustics is to have a 6 str panned on one side and a 12 str on the other, even having them play the same chords but in different positions. Your voice and the harmonies sound very good. This could turn out real nice with some more work, it's a good song. :)

Oh, man... I love this one! Your voice sounds so good! Lots of texture and emotion. I love it. Also - I gotta say that I *really* wanna play drums to this one. I think I owe you one, too. I'll do it just for fun. If others do it, and ya wanna use theirs, no worries. This would be fun to just jam to.

Dave, Joe and Jason - Wow, really not the response I thought I'd get from this. But, I just learned something about my voice and songwriting. This is more of my natural range - I really want to be a hard rocker, but I think this is where my voice wants to be for now.

About the drums: Jason, it sounds like you are already on it, so cool :). Dave asked first, so I gave him the "go". His groove on "You" was really cool, so I'm very intrigued by his semi- amateur approach. I'll send out a sans-drum track to both of you and let's see where this goes! :D;):cool:

Thanks all,
Brad

You've got mail. :) This was a fun one.

Ok, that was fast dude, you caught me flat footed and away from my cave! Thank You. Alright, I did a fast mix with the treated, stereo drum track and a scratch guitar noodle I uncovered and decided to toss that sucker in too :D. It almost sounds like a real recording, I think ;):). Thoughts...?

Ok, that was fast dude, you caught me flat footed and away from my cave! Thank You. Alright, I did a fast mix with the treated, stereo drum track and a scratch guitar noodle I uncovered and decided to toss that sucker in too :D. It almost sounds like a real recording, I think ;):). Thoughts...?

Yo... Sounds pretty good. Drums levels are a bit soft, but for being a quickie, I think it came out quite nicely. I'll get ya the dry individual tracks here soon (hopefully... Running on fumes, I'm spread so thin lately). One thing.. Did you put this through some sort of quantizer? There were some parts with whacked out timing when I did some triplets. Specifically, at times 1:52,1:53,3:12, and 3:28. Despite that, it's always a pleasure workin' with ya Brad. (BTW, I got my new DW kit a few hours ago, and I think I may just have to re-record this with the new kit. New cymbals, drums and everything.)

(and being "fast"? I'll I've gotta say is, you had your guitar solo to me 10 hours after I posted the original. *that* was fast, my man... :D)

This is sounding really good. I was listening to this the other night, and this new version is even better with the drums. Nice job Jason!

Jason, yea, I fussed with it a little with a cheap (more likely misused) quantizer! I'm not going to leave it like that, I was just trying to shore up a few minor feels that were bugging me (only because, you know how it is when you've heard a song SO many times and then it's different (human) - I'm a little freaky maybe ;)) Sorry :o. When I get the tracks, I can fix just those spots, without screwin up the whole thing!
That said - I think the ambiance of your kit/room/playing style gives this track so much life; it's night and day! :D:D

This is sounding really good. I was listening to this the other night, and this new version is even better with the drums. Nice job Jason!

Thanks for the listen GZ! My acoustic sound is not worthy of your ears, sorry for any damage it may have caused! Someday, when I spend more than a couple hundred $ on guitars and mics, then, just maybe, I can begin to get closer :D;):cool:

I prefer the second mix with the drums. The vocals could use "something" to pull them a wee bit forward. The lead vocal... Nice southern rock tune...

Thanks for the listen GZ! My acoustic sound is not worthy of your ears, sorry for any damage it may have caused! Someday, when I spend more than a couple hundred $ on guitars and mics, then, just maybe, I can begin to get closer :D;):cool:
The performance trumps gear, and this performance is up to snuff.

Back