Countor Knob?

post.aux.fader

Hey all. I recently bought a used Marshall Valvestate 100H (100w head) with a nice 12AX7 thrown in. I love the sound of it, esp. the OD2 channel, but I have a few questions, I was wondering if any of you could answer them.

1. What does the countour knob do specifically? When the guy selling it to me he referred to it as the "metalizer", and I'm not sure what it does.

2. How do you get the grey panel on the back that holds the tube in it to open? I've tried unscrewing it and it gets me nowhere.

3. What do the Power Dimension and Tone Shift knobs do?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your Input
Dan

ibanezrocks said:
I'm assuming you meant contour, which would scoop the mids as you turn it up. Don't go wild with that knob.

Hahah it's at and has been at 11 since I bought the amp... Is it damaging the tube or the ciricutry?

on a randall a friend owns, the "contour" knob is a Q-controol.

it may not be the same on all amps though.

post.aux.fader said:
Hahah it's at and has been at 11 since I bought the amp... Is it damaging the tube or the ciricutry?

I don't see how it could be, its just that as you take more and more mids out, some people, including myself, think it starts to sound worse. I think that is all that ibanezrocks meant. Feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted you, ibanez. ;)

Not damaging the tube but probably doing a serious number on your tone lol. Start with the knob at 0 and gradually turn it torwards 11 while chugging an open note. You will slowly hear your mids getting a pretty extreme scoop. I own a marshall valvestate bi-chorus 200. Its not my primary amp but they can sound pretty good with the right settings dialed in. A little odd "Metal" tid bit.....on Death's "sound of Perseverance" they used one of the earliest valvestate models for almost all of the guitar sounds.

tourettes5139 said:
I don't see how it could be, its just that as you take more and more mids out, some people, including myself, think it starts to sound worse. I think that is all that ibanezrocks meant. Feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted you, ibanez. ;)
thats all I meant by it, I can see that some people like scooped mids, but just like anything else you shouldn't over do it.

Back