Could you polish turds ?

You could polish a turd up so it shines brighter then a star but the fact is. . . . wait for it. . . . it is always going to be a turd. You could paint a lump of coal so it looked like a convincing piece of gold. . . but its still coal

You could polish a turd up so it shines brighter then a star but the fact is. . . . wait for it. . . . it is always going to be a turd. You could paint a lump of coal so it looked like a convincing piece of gold. . . but its still coal
I agree with that in principle, but not in reality. Yes, a piece of coal no matter what colour you paint it is still a piece of coal. But not if you want a gold coloured rock on your mantlepiece. I think within music creation, or more to the point, recording, there is an element of transformation possible that to me at least, can't be overlooked.

I agree with that in principle, but not in reality. Yes, a piece of coal no matter what colour you paint it is still a piece of coal. But not if you want a gold coloured rock on your mantlepiece. I think within music creation, or more to the point, recording, there is an element of transformation possible that to me at least, can't be overlooked.

Deffinatly, sometimes a turd is what a mix needs. You can record an acoustic guitar, that you wouldn't touch with a barge poll if it were used in a solo piece, but placed in a busy mix it can sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Its all subjective really.

You mean like Chalcopyrite, or Pyrrhotite?
You what ? You what ? You what ? You what ? You what ? :D

Deffinatly, sometimes a turd is what a mix needs.
Its all subjective really.
I guess. But I wasn't really thinking of it what a mix might need in that sense, rather, whether or not if presented with a combination of hissy, over effected, distorted and too quietly recorded tracks (that is, badly recorded, a turd), one could make a good salvage job out of them. I know it's possible, I don't think my skill level is currently such that I could.

It depends on the tracks. Case-by-case. Sometimes you can rescue stuff, other times it's a sign that you need to try again.

?Good call ...

I think the saying applies in musical circles because something like a turd can't be polished whether moist or hard. It's not given to polishing, unlike say, glass or wood. Personally, I think it's a flawed saying because the last 70 years have shown that, musically speaking, you can polish turds.

Back