Could use your help. Ya you!

Freudian Slip

Hey guys. I am in the middle of setting things up in a temporoary room so I can do some work with a singer songwriter. The temp cr is far less than good.

Anyway I found an old recording that I had forgot about and decided to do a mix to get a feel for the room. I should retrack..... well most of it:D but I'm feeling a bit lazy so we will see what happens.

Tell me what you think. I am interested to hear what you think of the kick.
It's been very hard to place in the song without it becoming too big on the bottom.

The song is Disin-Bosom This is the 320kbps link but you can follow it back to my page for other options if you wish.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7160510&q=hi

Thanks

F.S.

Lyrics:

CREATOR OF YOUR OWN DEMISE
THE SUN FALLS FROM YOUR SKY
LEAVING YOU IN DARKNESS
WRITE ME ANOTHER FAIRYTALE
SO I CAN RIP IT FROM THE PAGE
DISPLAY MY RAGE
AT YOUR DEMENTED COMFORT WITH YOUR SELF
HONESTY AND OPENNESS
IT’S ALL I REALLY WANTED
NOW THE HUNTER BECOMES THE HUNTED
I THROW FORTH MY PAIN UPON YOUR WORLD

(CHORUS)
MAYBE I CARE TOO MUCH
WHERE OTHER PEOPLE DO NOT GIVE A DAMN
MAYBE I’M A GOD
TRAPPED IN THIS HELLISH WORLD OF MAN
MAYBE A FOOL
SUCKED INTO THE PART I PLAY
BUT MAYBE ITS YOU
WHO WILL SUFFER MORE COME JUDGMENT DAY

CREATOR OF THE SITUATION
TEMPTER OF FATE
BRING OF YOUR DEGRADATION
NOW IT’S TOO LATE
MY INNARDS CHURN WITH PAIN
THERE’S NOTHING I CAN DO
BUT I WILL NOT TAKE THE BLAME
NOW IT FALLS ON YOU

(REPEAT CHORUS)

WITH A QUIET WHISPER, I COULD
MAKE THE SMILE FALL FROM YOU FACE
WALK AWAY AND LEAVE YOU
WITHIN YOUR MOUTH A ROTTED TASTE

WITHOUT A FLAME, I COULD
BURN YOU FORM THE INSIDE OUT
USING ONLY SHAME
LEAVE YOUR EMOTIONS DISINBOULD

Hi Freud...on my fifth listen now.

I think the song lacks of bottom end implosion, from both the bass and kick.

Just don't mess with those vox...;)

Hi Freud...on my fifth listen now.

I think the song lacks of bottom end implosion, from both the bass and kick.

Just don't mess with those vox...;)

Thanks True:)

So lacking lows? I was wondering. I actually pulled them pretty far back because they where just thumping hard in this room. In my old room it would have ended up waaaaaay overbassed.

I must spread some rep around.

Thanks
Alot.

F.S.

This is really interesting (stoner?) stuff :)
I love the voice, plenty of character there!. Quality...hmmn...sounds almost as if it was recorded with 1 mic in the middle of the room. Doesn't take anything away from the quality of the song though, it's still totally cool!

Cheers
Joe :D

This is really interesting (stoner?) stuff :)
I love the voice, plenty of character there!. Quality...hmmn...sounds almost as if it was recorded with 1 mic in the middle of the room. Doesn't take anything away from the quality of the song though, it's still totally cool!

Cheers
Joe :D

Sooo, can I put you down for no low end on the kick & bass?:D

Ya I don't even remember recording this. One of my first I'm sure. The guitar blows and so do the overheads. The bass is actually quite good and the kick is very workable. Had to replace the snare though with drumagog.
It's a rather tough song to mix anyway. Everything is always there.
Thanks

F.S.

PS: As to the stoner stuff comment. Given the time frame (1990) I would have to say yep. I have never related stoners to a certain type of music, but looking back I suppose there is a common theme. In High School the dedicated stoners all seemed to listen to harder & faster music than the general population;)

Last edited:
Sooo, can I put you down for no low end on the kick & bass?:D

Ya I don't even remember recording this. One of my first I'm sure. The guitar blows and so do the overheads. The bass is actually quite good and the kick is very workable. Had to replace the snare though with drumagog.
It's a rather tough song to mix anyway. Everything is always there.
Thanks

F.S.

PS: As to the stoner stuff comment. Given the time frame (1990) I would have to say yep. I have never related stoners to a certain type of music, but looking back I suppose there is a common theme. In High School the dedicated stoners all seemed to listen to harder & faster music than the general population;)

Still a damn good song I enjoyed listening to though!:D

Frood - I keep getting an error loading message on the streamer - bummer.

Thanks ray. I noticed last night that the file got goofed up somehow. I am going to upload a remix today. I will post o this thread when I do.

Thanks again.

F.S.

That mix sounds a bit better, except im hearing a ton of cymbals.. Could be my speakers. You vocals sound great. What was your chain? What did you use on them in the mix?

-josh

That mix sounds a bit better, except im hearing a ton of cymbals.. Could be my speakers. You vocals sound great. What was your chain? What did you use on them in the mix?

-josh

I honestly don't remember recording this but, my guess is at-3035 through a mackie sr-24-4 to a echo layla24/96. It's double tracked with major volume automation on the two tracks to maintain the relationship between the tracks.
A couple places I sang too good and the tracks match a little too much.
Beyond that there are many other little tricks going on in there;) I will say there is a type of flanger on one track and compression on both.

You can bet I am saving the vocal setup for future use on heavy stuff.

I did mess with the cymbals, I will relisten. I may have mixed them a bit high. Thanks for that. I've already started working on the mix soe more.
I haven't mixed in well over a year so I have to get my legs back.

F.S.

With the exception of the cymbals & some bottom in the bass this is a very narrow image. The guitars seems restricted, looking for a way out. The solo needs some ooomph - vol, delay & some meat.
It does seems like it's been mixed by a singing drummer as those are the areas that have prominence.
Good song.

With the exception of the cymbals & some bottom in the bass this is a very narrow image. The guitars seems restricted, looking for a way out. The solo needs some ooomph - vol, delay & some meat.
It does seems like it's been mixed by a singing drummer as those are the areas that have prominence.
Good song.

Thanks Ray. Ya, I'm going to do some retracking on this one and then work with it again. In the mean time I am going to try and get my temp room a little better.

I've got a little better mix going but it's hard when you are trying to work with pretty crappy tracks (guitar & overheads)

F.S.

Love the vocals - super clean and clear but not way out front... The kick seems hot to me - mostly just too obvious. I think that's my personal preference here though. Rest sounds solid to me. Good luck with your new setup once it's set it's sure to be a treat to mix in....:cool:

Yup, the vocals came out really cool here...guitars are close to being right, but maybe lacking in some bite. Actually...I see now that you say they blow, so maybe not...:o.

Bass lacks something, but overall, I like the raw in-yer-faceness of it.

Thanks guys:)

Well, everyone certainly has thier own take on this one:D
I know what's bugging me most, so I am going to work on that. I need to try a new mic technique on the guitar so this is a good one to try it on.
I'll be back with another version hopefully in the next few days.

F.S.

I've got nothing to add on the mix itself. I concur with the opinions about the lacking bottom end and the hot cymbals. But I just had to chime in and give you props on that vocal technique! I love it. Very up front, but even at the same time. Your work on that approach paid off.

I've got nothing to add on the mix itself. I concur with the opinions about the lacking bottom end and the hot cymbals. But I just had to chime in and give you props on that vocal technique! I love it. Very up front, but even at the same time. Your work on that approach paid off.

Thanks WhiteStrat.

Looks like I will be having alot of fun until I am able to built my control room:(
I don't want to do alot to my current/temp room because it would really require rebuilding about half the room. It's about as bad as one could imagine it:D You'd have a hard time designing a worse room:eek: Anyone want to lend me 10K?????
This room seriously creeps people out too. It looks like the Russian that had this house built this room to film snuff films in.
The door was even hidden by a swinging piece of plywood when we got the house. The home inspectors never even knew it was there.
I might take a pic later and post it.

F.S.

Back