Could use some opinions!

nice song.. vocals sound good.. guitar sounds a little out of tune.. some minor timing issues.. gets a little loose at the end.. cymbals are a bit upfront.. not a bad recording..

B.SABBATH,

Thanks for the input. I made some adjustments to the eq on the overheads (I think it helped). I also changed the compressor on the lead vocal, which seemed to thicken it up a bit.

I made a couple adjustments on the endeing, but I'm not sure if it made much difference. I struggled with the timing all the way through this one, because the drummer strayed quite a bit on it.

Thanks again

Hmm. This is kind of a shame in a way because the singer sounds quite competent for this kind of thing and the mix mostly sound fine to me (I'd like a little more low end, and those cymbals need a little help, but otherwise okay).

However, those timing problems are pretty glaring, especially in the beginning, and to my ears they push this down into a much lower category than it belongs. Any way to fix some of those with some cutting and pasting maybe? Something? They're pretty bad.

Otherwise, I like.

A little more consistant level on the singer would be good too.

Cheers,
Chris

It's a little bright and just a bit too loose in a spot or two. Nice vox on the singer. Keep her. :-) Some vocal harmonies would add SO much though, maybe in place of the lead guit in a few spots.

Back off the treble on the guitars and drums, add some harmonies and you've got a really good song here. Nice work! Godd cross between country and rock.

Piltdown Man

Sounds a little like Alanis Morrisette (if she could really sing instead of whine), especially in the way the chorus came in with the slightly overdriven guitar...

Definitely needs some work, but if this is a digital master it shouldn't be more than a few hours retracking, pushing, and pasting the vocals around to the new tracks (the vocals are pretty much dead on and inspired, probably should keep them). If this is not digital, you may not be able to do much more with it... which is kinda a shame considering it really isn't bad.

Tried to fix some things. . .

Here are a few changes I have made to try to improve things a little:

1. fixed the timming of the drums as best I could.

2. Tried to tighten up the electrick guitar track.

3. Re-EQed several tracks to try to give some more bass, and take away the over-brightness.

(I discovered in this process that my moniters needed to be adjusted, The first version actually sounded to bassy to me. So I spent some time this weekend trying different settings and positions for the speakers. I think it payed off, at least a little.)

4. Tried to adjust the level of the vocals abit.

(I wasn't to picky, because I am going to add a few more harmony parts this week, so I'll deal with it then)

I would love to know if any of you think there is any improvement.

Thanks for all the comments they have been very helpful, especially for the singer who doesn't have alot of confidence in her ability.

this song is very vox driven, mixing-wise at least. Personaly, I would like to hear a little more dynamic on the instruments, so the volume difference between the vox and instruments would vary more. The vocal is really the magic in this tune, good voice!

Al

A1A2,

Thanks for your comments, but I'm not sure If I understand your suggestion entirely.

Are you saying:

1. Use less compression on the instraments to let the vocalls come through more.

2. adjust the volume on the instruments more so they get jump to the front only on some highlights, and let the vocal carry it more.

Also, do you think it is just the verses or the whole song that I could use adjustment?

Thanks for the help.

Solafide

I was glad to read that you were working on your monitor set up in your studio as this was going to be my advice to you; to play with them and set them up in such a way that they sound right with similar genre recordings that were professionally done and ones that you really know the material from.

The mix basically sounds like you are still having some issues with your speakers and once you get that ironed out, I think your mixes on them will translate better.

If you have the placement about as good as it's going to get, the next thing to do would be to dedicate an eq setting to them that is the last thing in the signal chain before the amp and speakers. Play with the eq with fresh ears and then attempt a remix of this track again.

The song itself is a good one! I like the singers voice. She seems to be a natural!

Keep at it! :)

great vox!

I think a song of this style is crying out for a b3 organ pad
in the mix, esp'ly in the beginning (low on the guits; b3 and vox to intro the first verse) it works as a tonal bridge between the dist. guit and the smooth lush vocal

also my ears got "ear fatigue", the tune needs a tonal rest or brake somewhere (without looking I'd say around 2:00-2:30)

overall there are some hot spots where I was reaching to turn the volume down

the vox are beautiful and this is a solid tune

Solafide said:
A1A2,

Thanks for your comments, but I'm not sure If I understand your suggestion entirely.

Are you saying:

1. Use less compression on the instraments to let the vocalls come through more.

2. adjust the volume on the instruments more so they get jump to the front only on some highlights, and let the vocal carry it more.

Also, do you think it is just the verses or the whole song that I could use adjustment?

Thanks for the help.

I thought I had posted answers to your question, but appearently it got lost somewhere.

What I was saying was that right now the vox is consistently loud in this mix, and it almost seems like a kareokie(?) track to me. So, if you let the other instruments to have some interaction with the vox in volume, for example, having the instruments as loud as the vox during the chours, will add some cool dynamics to the whole mix.

These are just my personal opinions tho.

Al

Well a little more tinkering.

I added a little more bass.

What I would like to do with this song (and a few others that are better recorded than this one) is give them to a local Christian Radio station, and see if they could get some air time.

Would you say that this would be good enough for this purpose?

hi solafide...

listened to your song (in lo-fi thought) but here is what i thought.

it reminds me of michelle branch witha bit of country. i like the singer's voice. is that you or someone else?

one thing wrong i noticed though was the guitar seems a little out of tune at the intro. maybe it's the lo-fi, but it didn't sound very right.

the song seemed to be pretty much textbook standard pop (nothing wrong with that by the way) but i still thought it was good.

performance wasn't too bad, but maybe a little more tighter (some bits just didn't 'feel' right. hard to explain')

Back