could anyone tell me about getting the best vocalrecording and editing

insanek9

i wonder how to perfect the vocal?
i use vst plugins to tweak the vocal so its sounds ok
but i wonder how too get the best vocal.
im interested to know about recording tricks
sound perfection tools etc.

i only want the best of the best when i make music:P
neeh thats not true, but i wish it was but hope that comes wit fame etc..

i want to know everything all from little tricks for amatures too the big corp profession secrets. if we just put our minds together we can make wonders!:eek:

Ill tell you right now...most people on this site will say the same shit "you have to listen and learn" or "its a trial and error process"blah blah blah...Ne wayz, I think the best way to learn is to google "vocal mixing" sometimes they will have people who explain what they do and sometimes they will even attach the vocal so you can hear the difference, but what they do might not work for you...but hey, at least you know where to start...Most people on here wont even try to offer suggestions, I suggest also looking up things on YouTube.com... a lot of people on there give good tips and tricks to vocal mixing....

vVShellShockVv, you're so out in left field it's a joke. I;'m not even going to address your ridiculous statements.

If you want questions answered here, uit does help to have specific questions. I guarantee you that if the question(s) makes sense, you'll get plenty of help here.

This is my response to your "question" "im interested to know about recording tricks"
Start by reading through a number of the forums. A HUGE amount of information has already been provided to similar questions from these same people who "wont even try to offer suggestions".

Now, if you need/want your hand held to find the answers you're looking for, or expect to be spoon-fed, you won't get far. But if you're willing to do some of the work yourself in the form of looking for the answers here instead of expected everyone here to answer the same questions for the nth time, you'll find people here very willing to help out.

Fasterhutch: Good, Dont address it:D move on, get over it, dont no one know how to read, I didnt say all ppl will tell you the same shit, I said SOME ppl, but whatever...Movin on...

vVShellShockVv, you're so out in left field it's a joke. I;'m not even going to address your ridiculous statements.

No kidding. That's got to be the one of the stupidest posts ever. There are no "tricks" or "secrets". You get it right in the tracking. And you DO use your ears. There's a reason most people on this site will tell you that. It's because it's the truth. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't pretend you do.

WoOOooOoW...calm down ppl damn, spendin so much time worried bout what I said and you aint even giving this person no advice on his thread...Oh yeah, and I just told him to check out what other ppl may be doing just so he can possibly starts somewhere if he likes their sound...Cuz some ppl are new to this and just want some advice on where to start, and my saying "just use your ears" although thats the main idea, it helps to kinna know what you should be looking for, telling a person to just use their ears sometimes still leaves them lost. Give them some pointers on where they want to look(BOOKS, GOOGLE,YOUTUBE,whatever), some ppl dont even know they can get tips off youtube, and for you to say their is no tricks or tips, your trippin...Southsideglen has a nice ass page http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/columns/gstep/index.php?id=69 ...And hell yeah he had tips and tricks for newbies on what to look out for and how to start their learning experience in mixing...

Damn ppl get so offended off little things these days:rolleyes:

i want to know everything all from little tricks for amatures too the big corp profession secrets. if we just put our minds together we can make wonders!:eek:

how about instead on focusing on me, you help insanek9 find what he needs? As I did with the link above :)

More "TIPS AND TRICKS" to read about homeboy.. ;)
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/compuncomp/index.htm

Last edited:
Because when you start a post with this:
Ill tell you right now...most people on this site will say the same shit "you have to listen and learn" or "its a trial and error process"blah blah blah....

...don't start whining like a baby when someone responds to it. I like how people come off like smart-asses and then start playing "victim" when they're exposed as idiots. :rolleyes:

HAHhaha IIght whatever man..I aint trippin off you, life goes on...Anyway, Homeboy who started this thread in the first place hit me up in a P.M saying I ended up helping him with what he was looking for when I FOCUSED ON THE POINT OF THIS THREAD(links and references), instead of trippin off you...Have a nice day :D:rolleyes:;):p:cool:

RAMI;...don't start whining like a baby when someone responds to it. I like how people come off like smart-asses and then start playing "victim" when they're exposed as idiots.

Oh no! a guy online, that I never met, that doesnt even know my name, that has nothing to do with my real life thinks Im an idiot...WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?

I KNOW!!!
Imma go back to livin my life;)
*phew* I was worried there for a second...

HAHhaha IIght whatever man..I aint trippin off you, life goes on...Anyway, Homeboy who started this thread in the first place hit me up in a P.M saying I ended up helping him with what he was looking for when I FOCUSED ON THE POINT OF THIS THREAD(links and references), instead of trippin off you...Have a nice day :D:rolleyes:;):p:cool:

Oh no! a guy online, that I never met, that doesnt even know my name, that has nothing to do with my real life thinks in an idiot...WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?

I KNOW!!!
Imma go back to livin my life;)
Hehe....Yeah, Nice to see you ain't tripping on it. You just devoted 4 paragraphs trying to convince us you're not tripping on it. :D :eek:

Like I said, if you're going to come in here with an ill-unformed remark that's trying to insult people on this site who give the same advice you're going to give one day when you actually learn something, don't cry like a bitch when you get it back.

The fact is, there are no "tricks" or "secrets". Learn about mic technique. Learn about room treatment. Learn about signal chain. Plain and simple. Now pull your panites back up and get to work. You'll thank me one day. I promise.

hAHAhaha BLAH blah BLAH blah BLAH...

Go back to school, take english, and ask your teacher if she would qualify that as 4 paragraphs..haha and IM an idiot;)

hAHAhaha BLAH blah BLAH blah BLAH...

Go back to school, take english, and ask your teacher if she would qualify that as 4 paragraphs..haha and IM an idiot;)

Yup. Just as I expected. You couldn't defend your position, so let's go way off-topic.::rolleyes:

Problem is......

IM an idiot
No apostrophe.
Not a word.

thinks in an idiot
"in" is wrong.

Not Not a word.

Hehe......Who needs to learn english?????

You've been putting your foot in your mouth from the time you decided to post in this thread. And it it keeps going deeper and deeper. :D :D :D

But I'm glad you "ain't tripping on me". :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WOoOoW this guy is trying so hard...Im sorry if I dont type all my words like Im sending a letter to God or some shit....IIGHT HOMIE IMMA KEEP TYPIN LYKE I FEELZ LYKE KUZ EITHER WAY...the guy who ask for help on this post, got the info he was LOOKIN for, so move on, GIT OFF MY BALLZ and find another thread to post on...KAY;)?

Hey...HEY...HEY!!!

You kids stop bickering back there or I'll turn this forum right around!!

ShellShock, I sincerely appreciate your props towards my website, I really do. Thanks, bro :). But I gotta be honest; I thought you were originally talking about me, because I was very tempted to give the OP a reply almost exactly like what you complained about in your first reply to him. Frankly I thought you were doing an impression of me :p.

I just don't know how one can give a meaningful reply to the question, "How can I perfect my vocal recording?" One might as well ask, "How can I perfect my guitar playing?" or "How can I perfect my basketball playing?" There's just no way to properly answer that without being able to see what you are up to and where you need improvement in your technique. And with vocal recording, you have the added issue that a lot depends upon what kind of vocals you're talking about.

And yeah, there are a lot of great examples on meTube, but frankly, if one does not have the ear to work on their own stuff, they're not going to have the ear to know if what they are watching on meTube is going to be appropriate for them either. Sure, it's a place to start, but it's no better or worse than any other place. It seems to me that the place to start is to work on one's listening skills first, because without those one is just driving blind.

Just an IMHO.

G.

WOoOoW this guy is trying so hard...Im sorry if I dont type all my words like Im sending a letter to God or some shit....IIGHT HOMIE IMMA KEEP TYPIN LYKE I FEELZ LYKE KUZ EITHER WAY...the guy who ask for help on this post, got the info he was LOOKIN for, so move on, GIT OFF MY BALLZ and find another thread to post on...KAY;)?

Nice attempt at back tracking. You came in here attacking some very knowledgeable people and got it right back. Now you realize you've embarrassed yourself. Badly.

You did the same thing with the whole "learn english" thing. I don't care how good or bad your english is. But, you attacked, got put in your place, and then reverted to the whole "victim" thing. Dude, you need to grow a pair. Or change your diapers. :rolleyes:

Listen to Glen's advice. He's saying what I'm saying. Just a lot more diplomatically. Personally, I take off the kid gloves when approached by idiots like you. He doesn't. He's a better man than me when it comes to that. :)

Now, pull your panties out of your crack and stop being a cry baby.

RAMI: I did not say to go learn English!!! WOULD YOU JUST READ?!?!? I said, ask an English teacher if they would qualify that as four paragraphs!!!!

Movin on to THE THREAD...

Your right SouthSideGlen...You do use your ears...And Youtube does not have all the right answers, some are wrong, if you dont know what your looking for. What I was saying is that most people like to take the whole, watch, learn, then try myself, approach....Yeah I have looked at YouTube and seen what they do....But I did not copy it, I just learned other techniques. Then I went and check out your sites on EQs and Compression, which helped what I watched make more sense:cool:....I jumped on this thread to give the original poster advice on how I learned, which I did, cause I remember it took foreeEEeeEver for me to even hear from at least one knowledgeable person about your site. I mean everyone kept saying the same thing to the same question the original poster to this thread asked"try and learn," finally one day someone actually helped me out a whole damn lot when they sent me a link to your site, THAT WAS ALL I NEEDED! Now I find out my advice(the same advice I got) is what somewhat helped him with what he was looking for...I know that your web links helped me out A LOT, but I also know that if I didnt use YouTube and other video tutorial sites, not everything on your site would make complete sense to me...:eek: Might just be me though.

And now I got RAMI trying to crawl up my ass, and he hasnt said anything to the original poster to help him...If you noticed;), the original poster has moved on, why? BECAUSE I HELPED HIM GET ON HIS FEET:cool:....now if he has any other questions, I WILL HELP HIM. Im not the best on the site, not by a long shot. But if someone asks a question, I WILL TRY AND HELP THEM...So RAMI, move on, I keep saying it, none of your posts have to do with the thread, move on, move on, move on. If you are so knowledgeable(which Im not saying your not), then stop focusing on me, and HELP PEOPLE WHO ASK FOR IT.

Oh and stop saying Im playin "the victim role"....WTF??? Thats retarded...

EDIT:
Yeah so Im done RAMI, respond back if you want with talks about "panties" or "victims" or "kids" or "balls"(wow kinda starting to sound like a pedophile evidence bag haha), but Im done arguing with you....The point of this thread was reached, time to get off the subject. So say what you like, its whatever, Im bored with this. If you feel like you need the last word, then have fun, its time to let this thread fall back into history...LATE!

Last edited:
vocals

Ignoring all the bickering by the fifteen year old "gangsta" who probably thinks the best way of recording vocals is into his Peavy Pvi and through his tascam eight track while his friend spits a new beat like a freaky fresh moron...;)

There's no secrets to the trade in recording, there's little moves people create to get to the same place? But in all honesty, they don't teach them, you go into the studio and screw around till you find what the teacher was talking about in lecture. Some of my findings which i find common among peers.

-proximity effect and mic placement = CRUCIAL .. you can't polish a turd, I hear it all the time, where the mic is placed, what mic you use, it can create a great starting point

-Effects- I personally don't like wet vocals, if you have a good vocalist to record, and decent tracking, you'll have some decent vocals. Some compression could be useful.. I love the Distressor for vocals! set the audio to Dist 1 and a low ratio(2:1 or 3:1), sounds amazing. (I do mostly classic rock in my school, Zeppelin and such)

Keep this thread alive, try a few things and lemme know what you find.

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................Someone let me know when this little baby stops whining already.

For someone who doesn't give a shit, he sure can't stop peeing his pants over this. What a joke. I'm glad he agrees with Glen, because that means he agrees with me. He's just whining too much about it to admit it.

What I said was the best help the OP can get. Period.

Next.

Ignoring all the bickering by the fifteen year old "gangsta" who probably thinks the best way of recording vocals is into his Peavy Pvi and through his tascam eight track while his friend spits a new beat like a freaky fresh moron...;)

There's no secrets to the trade in recording, there's little moves people create to get to the same place? But in all honesty, they don't teach them, you go into the studio and screw around till you find what the teacher was talking about in lecture.
Thank you. Someone else with a brain. I'm sure our little wannabe gangsta is on his third pair of diapers by now. :D :D :D

A bigger moron, you won't find. :rolleyes:

i wonder how to perfect the vocal?
i use vst plugins to tweak the vocal so its sounds ok
but i wonder how too get the best vocal.
im interested to know about recording tricks
sound perfection tools etc.

i only want the best of the best when i make music:P
neeh thats not true, but i wish it was but hope that comes wit fame etc..

All arguments aside, what you're asking is extremely subjective and not a one size fits all answer.

You say, "i wonder how to perfect the vocal?"

What is perfect for you? Are you trying to sound like someone else?? What do your vocals sound like now? What do you want them to sound like? Got any samples we can listen to?

You say, "i use vst plugins to tweak the vocal so its sounds ok"

Which ones?? There are thousands out there. I used to use the free Kjaerhaus classic series, but have since bought UAD stuff. But what works for me may not work for you. It's really subjective.

You say, "im interested to know about recording tricks"

Here it is, the definitive answer for perfect vocals by the Irish Pirate:

To record perfect vocals, start with an awesome vocalist and record that person in a pristine sound environment. (Most people would stop right there)

Use a really expensive mic. If it's got to be perfect, you've got to spend the big bucks. And you'll have to experiment with different mics to match the vocalist. If perfection can be compromised, then you can use a much cheaper mic, but that's not what you want.

Find the best matching pre-amp for the vocalist/mic combo. This is really important to maintain true fidelity. Again, you'll have to experiment to find the one that matches your vocalist.

If you're going into a computer, you'll need the best converter. I can only recommend Lavry. The absolute, undeniable best converters out there. If anyone tells you something different, then they don't know what they're talking about. PERIOD. I've got the black series, myself. (Oh, and if you're going to tape, I can't offer any advice. Sorry)

Once in the computer, you won't want to waste your money on free vst plugs because you won't achieve perfection. From here, which plugs to use becomes a hotly debated topic. No clear winners or obvious choices as each has it's flavor or coloring or lack of. Some people would advise not to even use plugs, but run through outboard equipment for optimal sound.

When you have your vocals recorded, you're going to need the best monitoring system (including room) to mix the vocals. This is a whole different subject. You wouldn't want to take a picture without looking through the viewfinder, and you wouldn't want to mix your perfect vocals without hearing what they truly sound like.

This might be a little tongue-in-cheek, but if you're going ask some vague questions, this is what you're going to get.

A successful pro recording engineer will have many years of experience and the right equipment to get really good vocals, maybe not perfect, but that's totally subjective. He'll know what mic to pull and hopefully will have a nice room to record in. You just can't find that kind of stuff in a forum post.

So when Shellshock tells you 'most people on this site will say the same shit "you have to listen and learn" or "its a trial and error process"blah blah blah' ... that's why. You just can't get a straight clear cut answer to such a question. ther perfect vocal is the holy grail and it's different for each person.

Good luck, have fun and...
Cheers,

(but serious about the Lavry stuff :D )

Back