Cost Analysis: Cubase SX versus Digi 01 with Pro Tools LE

Based off the information described so far, I would advise you to...

• If you are going to go with Cubase SX go with Delta 1010

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • If you go with Cubase SX, it doesn't sound like you need Delta 1010, buy Delta 66

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay with Cubase SX but dont go with Delta 66 (please recommend a substitute soundcard/interface bel

• Don't go Cubase SX or Delta 66! Save your extra $100 and go with Digi 01 and Pro Tools LE (please d

• Total voters

rkellus

First, I want thank those of you who have responded to my earlier post (Sound off Pro Tools v. Cubase SX). I encourage opinionated souls to still add there comments to that thread and vote.

This thread is a little different because I want to talk about the almighty dollar.

I began shopping around the internet today and discovered that the Digi 001 with Pro Tools LE runs roughly $799. Cubase SX runs around $599. Because Pro Tools LE is a "light" version of the Pro Tools HD, I give the advantage to Cubase SX. Critics so far have not had any cruel words for SX.

So I begin leaning heavy towards Cubase SX and then......

I realize I am going to need a sound card with Cubase SX and that is when I stopped leaning in one direction.

When I asked for a good sound card/interface a number of readers strongly suggested the Delta 1010. The rub is that the Delta 1010 runs roughly $599.

In essence, if went the SX and Delta 1010 route, I will spend roughly $1200 (versus $800 for Digi 01/Pro Tools LE). Now, if it is trully worth it, I am prepared to bite the bullet for quality. In all honesty, however, I have some reservations.

For starters, do I really need 10 out puts and 10 inputs? If I were to mic drums the answer would be "yes." I doubt I would. I do, however, need a light pipe or some way to move data to and from an ADAT.

Thus, the question of the hour becomes what about staying with Cubase but using a card comparable to Delta 66 ($299). This option would run me a total of about $900. Are there any readers out (especially veteran commentators) who would please chime in.

I feel like every time I use this BBS I get one step closer to being able to make clear choice.

you've made a few post now...

SX...bottom line...much more powerful software. if you go with the 1010 you'll have some advantages over the 66. the SQ, more i/o's, midi..word clock.. and a few other things.

but you might wanna go with the Layla24 which is also a good card.. or maybe RMS or the systemIII... they all will have great quality... with a 8i/8o card it'll allow you to expand.. even if you don't need all 8 now... you might later...

So go with SX and a nice soundcard.
i would never recommend it, but maybe you MIGHT wanna try one of those(PATCHED) versions of SX and find out if you like it...then go to the store and pick up a real version with the dongle :)

If you want more bang for the buck...I'd go with the digi-001.
I think you pretty much summed it up with your post. You are gonna pay more for Cubase S(uck)X. With less for your money.
Its a no brainer...Digi-001

you say that crap b/c you use a digi 001...
you can't compare the digi 001(pt le) to Sx.. there is no comparison. Sx is much better ... the digi 001 you just get the soundcard with the software, which is nothing special at all.
SX right now is the best app.. whats better please tell me? and don't even say PT Le, i would say Nuendo, but Sx is Nuendo with even more features...

like you said in one post, you've never even seen a delta 1010...
bang for the buck...there is a Digi 001 package that is 1100 or 1200.. if he buys Sx then gets a delta 1010 or any other song he'll spend the same amount... and have much more than the digi 001 and Pt Le can offer

They will both get the job done and 2 years from now the few hundred dollar difference won't really matter.

I would go with SX and just to fuck with you I'm gonna recomend MOTU interfaces.

There are inumerable options available for software and interfaces. If you are new to this it won't really matter what you get because they will all do the job. If you just want to do some song demos at home than go with the cheapest package. If you aspire to doing more pro work with your setup than consider a more upgradeable platform like MOTU.

Any of the packages you are looking at will work fine and the differences are pretty minor. Especially for recording yourself.

Well sure (c9)you are only partially right when you say that I only say that because I have a digi-001. My friends who have been attempting to get Cubase SX to work for about 2 weeks now with no relief. They have an almost new PC and its deffinatley powerful enough to run Cubase SX. First it was driver issues..then it was crashing and then they couldnt acess their files. Finally they are about to scrap the entire project and have agreed to try it on my digi-001. And the guy running their cubase sx is a computer nerd.
I dont know...with all of the driver issues and compatibility issues Im getting scared about my digi-001...Im scared because it hasnt crashed or acted up in any way since I got it. I almost assumed that most of these computer recording programs had some kind of bugs or were messed up in some way. But its been going on 3 months now and like I said...Im scared that I havent had any problems what so ever. Like a ticking time bomb.

But hey...Id rather be living in this kind of fear than the hell my friends are going thru...

Why even post this question

Reading your post, I can tell pretty clearly that you want Cubase SX, so why even post this question? I get really tired of people posting questions like this just so they can bash Pro Tools.

Pro Tools LE is awesome. Cubase SX is awesome. Pro Tools LE is more like a recording system. It's more limited, and less designed for music creation than for music tracking and mixing. Cubase SX is designed to do it all, tracking, mixing, but also composing, scoring, generating sounds with virtual instruments, looping. Pro Tools is easier to use. Cubase SX does more. Bottom line, they both kick ass on anything you could have bought for 100X the price 15 years ago.

Get over yourselves, no need to bash a decent product just because you use something different.

What Charger said.

I would lean toward cubase sx bec Im a bigger fan of steinberg than digi. Also steinberg actually has some support where digi has none. I have the 1010 and its a tank in terms of stability and one of the best sounding cards in the range. Also check out Lynx if you dont need the ins and outs. Considered the best sounding card by many and I believe it supports ADAT.

Plus, the DUC (digi user conference) has got to be one of the most helpful discusion groups I've ever seen.

Back