Correlating actual levels to mixer slider..

dru

I'm using Logic for producing my music and have realized that the mixer volume position of the slider never really correlates with the actual levels coming in. I did a test using a sample that was recorded at 0 db and ran it through the mixer and things did seem to correlate fairly well- I was able to position the volume slider around 0 db and the sound would be very close to clipping.
What I wonder is- should I even care what the slider says? I imagine that I should just crank the volume until it sits where I want it in the mix. But what is really the point then of having a value associated with the slider position, when after combining several samples on one channel and adding velocity variations etc. that the value doesn't mean anything anymore?
Also, when trying to compensate for losses in this volume should I use a 'gainer' plug-in? What would be the difference between using a 'gain' plug-in and a 'volume' plug-in?
Also, would the ol' 6db rule apply when adjusting over-all levels in this way? Or is does this really only apply to eq?
And when all is said and done and I have my track levels sitting just right relative to the mix- doesn't it really only matter that my master level is set correctly (just short of 0db?)??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

dru

I just recently started using Logic and noticed that the meters do seem to be a little low. I am using the Roland VM3100 with the RPC card so the link is completely digital. When I am at unity on the Roland and the Rbus card (according the meters in the Rbus driver) Logic is still pretty low, about 80%. Maybe they just have a higher resolution at the top of the meter but since there is no db markings it is hard to say.

Anybody have any insight on Logic metering?

Back