Corporate PA - Headset or lapel??

Phloodpants

Being the "audio geek" in my IT department, I have been charged with picking out a portable PA system to be used when the suits want to hold a meeting in front of a large group.

I've picked out the Samson EX30 portable PA as being perfect for our purposes. It's a nice all-in-one portable PA speaker with a mixer built in and a spot to mount a wireless mic.

The question is...

Should I get a lapel mic or a headset?

I know the suits would prefer the lapel mic over the headset, but is it going to pick up the speech well enough? I am worried about feedback and speech clarity with the lapel mic.

Anybody have experience with this?

use the lapel. it looks alot more professional and is more unobtrusive. as for quality, the lapel will be fine. for feedback, just be sure they stand behind the speaker, and keep a comfortable volume level. it isnt a rock show, so it doesnt have to be loud. check the capsule type that comes with the lapel. most are omni, but you might be able to get a cardioid or hyper cardioid capsule if feedback is still a problem

As much as I dislike lapel mics, I agree in this case. Note that Sony makes both omnis and cardioids. For PA work, be sure it's a cardioid. An omni will give you grief.

Alternatively, some suits like to carry a ball mic around -- there was a really embarrassing clip on the Internet awhile back of a Microsoft VP acting like a rock star on stage in front of his employees -- the bigger the ego, the more they might like a handheld mic.

Mostly, once you get the PA set up and operating without feedback, don't let some assistant suit reposition it to "look better."

Good luck!

Mark H.

Thanks guys!

Lapel it is, and I will pick up a corded SM-58 along with it...

Yeah, and there is an ego involved... our CEO is more concerned with how our data center looks through the display window than how it actually works!

Maybe get a feedback killer too... Think behringer has got something like that. Don't know how good it is though.

If you get to set it up yourself, you could also get a graphical EQ, so you can do the cutting where it has to be done yourself.

I used one of those sampson systems for corp work for a year. It should work fine as is for small meetings. Just have extra batteries on hand for the lav and make sure they turn off the mic before running off to the bathroom.

Back