Copyright your songs (requirements)

A.D.Ryan

Hey guys. Any song writers out there who know what the steps to copyright your songs are? What do you need to have? Do you have to have the entire song on notes, or just the beginning? Also is there a place where you can register them online? I live in Japan. I did a google search and couldn`t find any places in Japan, where I could register my songs:(
Thank you in advance!
A.D.Ryan

Actually, your songs are copyrighted already, you are really asking how to register that copyright. A song is copyrighted the moment you put it into a tangible form, like written on paper or recorded to a cd. In the US, you would use their online registration, which you can find at this website. There's a link to their online registration site. As far what you need to register your copyright, follow the instructions, it's pretty straightforward.

I know of people who don't live in the US and still use the US Copyright office for registration because their own country does not have anything similar. Japan might be the same. And because most countries sign treaties to respect each others' intellectual property, the registration might be honored if you ever need to take someone to court for infringement in Japan. The whole purpose of it is to prove your ownership if you suspect someone has stolen your music and claimed it as their own.

hope this helps,

Japan's Copyright Laws

Directory of Intellectual Property Offices - worldwide

Yes...in the USA you can register online now. I did a bunch of songs last year that way as opposed to mailing stuff in. You fill out online forms and upload electronic audio files. It's cheaper than hardcopy registration....but I was disappointed in the time it took for me to get my certificates. They say the actual registration is faster online, where hardcopy could take months before they even open your package...but it still took about 6 months!!! for me to get my certificates. It's not a big deal...the certificates are just for your records...but it's nice having them, I just wish they would issue them faster.
I don't get it...if they are THAT backed up at the Copyright office...hire some more people!!!!!!!!!! There are a lot of unemployed workers out there. :D

Yes...you need the completed work...not just the intro...though I guess you could register just the intro or a chorus as a completed work...;) …but that's nuts! You will spend a fortune registering a song piecemeal like that.

Yeah, it's copyrighted as soon as you make the song, but if someone steals it, you will have trouble winning a legal case unless you already have it registered.

I got it Lewis. With everybody`s help, I managed to find the place I was looking for. Now I`m waiting for the papers.
Cheers

Back