Copyright a song without sheet music?

gerard

Can it be done? I have a few original songs I recorded and played all the instruments and would like to copyright them. Problem is, I can't read or write music, don't know what chords I'm playing on guitar or keyboard, and couldn't tell you where a B note is on a bass. I know the 4 strings on it and don't have a problem tuning stringed instruments. And I been playing bass for almost 40 years. Can I copyright a song without sheet music? If not, how can I "protect" the songs if I post them on the net? Thanks in advance!

Jerry

You don't need to have them on paper; any other tangible form is acceptable, like a cd, tape.

You already own the copyrights to your songs and are protected under the law. You want to register the copyright ownership. If you live in the US, you can go to the U.S. Copyright Office website and register there. It's $35 online and you can register all your songs at once as a collection and pay the fee only one time.

If you can put your songs in mp3 format, you'll be able to upload when you register and so meeting the deposit requirements.

Back