copyright 2 songs

dogbiscuit

Sorry if this has been done to death. I need to copyright a couple of songs with lyrics and art. I have written, recorded, produced everything myself. Whats the easiest cheapest way?

I usually wait until I have about twelve to fourteen songs before I send in my copyright information. It's still the same price whether you send in two or twenty songs. Though if just the two songs are what you need to get done....

I'm in the UK. Ideally I'd wait untill I had more songs but I'm starting to get played quite a bit on podcasts and it will take me forever to get more stuff recorded with my set up.

You own the copyright when you have it written down in a "fixed form". That includes any manner of recording, music / tab notation, lead sheet, lyric on back of cigarette packet, etc, etc. Ownership of copyright in law requires nothing more.

Proof of ownership of copyright in the event of dispute can be another matter entirely which is why some people go to some lengths to "register" copyright with one organisation, or the other. However, this is only really useful when the the copyright holders are already established and well known, and whose work is at real risk of plagarism.

(The above is written with knowledge of UK legislation. I apologise if it's materially different in the US.)

Anyway, for you and me, we should desire that our work be stolen and a fortune made by the thief in order that, at some chosen moment, when the proceeds are maxing out, we can sue his ass.

That includes any manner of recording, music / tab notation, lead sheet, lyric on back of cigarette packet, etc, etc. Ownership of copyright in law requires nothing more.

Proof of ownership of copyright in the event of dispute can be another matter entirely which is why some people go to some lengths to "register" copyright with one organisation, or the other. However, this is only really useful when the the copyright holders are already established and well known, and whose work is at real risk of plagarism.

Hey dymyy, a bit of unsolicited advice. Most of the spam accounts that get into this forum come to the marketing section first. Before you post to a thread, check the date of the last post and make sure that someone's posted to it within the last 6 years. Otherwise, an overzealous moderator might mark you as spam.

Hey dymyy, a bit of unsolicited advice. Most of the spam accounts that get into this forum come to the marketing section first. Before you post to a thread, check the date of the last post and make sure that someone's posted to it within the last 6 years. Otherwise, an overzealous moderator might mark you as spam.

It's a copy and paste of a post above - maybe a bot?

It's possible. It looked like a reasonable-enough contribution to the topic to be a real person, and I didn't re-read the thread before my post.

Back