copy and paste effects?

spacedye

Vest
hi,
was wondering if this can be done in sonar xl 2.
in the (ugly?) console view or wherever, can i copy effects used in one project (reverb, delays, etc...) and paste them into another project? and would the settings be identical? i dont want to just copy/paste a reverb without the same settings. that would defeat the purpose.
anyone know if this can be done? or is there a quicker or another way?
thanks.

sounds like a great idea, but how do i do that? i dont see saving presets in the help file. and of course, id tried to do the copy and paste where i was talking about by right clicking, but copy or paste doesnt come up.
help?
thanks dachay2tnr

Open up the project that has the effect settings that you want to copy. Double click on the effect in Track View to open it up (you could also use Console View, but it is ugly and will make you go blind).

Once the effect is open, and the settings are as you want them, click once in the "presets" box and type in a name - e.g., Really Cool Reverb. Then click the disk icon just to the right in order to Save the current settings.

Now open up your new project and patch in the same effect. If it doesn't immediately open, open it by double clicking on it, and click the down arrow next to the preset box. You should now see Really Cool Reverb in the list of choices. Select it, and your saved settings will return.

This sounds like a lot, but it's really quite easy, and you now have those reverb settings available for any new project

Basically all you need to do is to set up the effect the way that you like then type the name describing the Preset then click the Disk (Save) button. Next time you insert the same effect into a project, just click the drop down box and your preset will be listed.

See the picture below for where the preset's are kept.

PS, Doesn't the compressor look impressive!!! It's in the same location on reverbs as well... that was just in my current project I'm working on.

Porter

Attachments

• presets.jpg
    presets.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 56
thanks guys, ill give it a try. doesnt sound very complicated.
quick funny for ya-
after looking at your "compressor" pic, i clicked the "x" on the compressor to make it go away instead of clicking where i should have on the big window "X".
i had a quick laugh with that.... :D :D :D

spacedye said:
thanks guys, ill give it a try. doesnt sound very complicated.
quick funny for ya-
after looking at your "compressor" pic, i clicked the "x" on the compressor to make it go away instead of clicking where i should have on the big window "X".
i had a quick laugh with that.... :D :D :D

Trust me, it's not like those new ad's that appear over the top of a web page that when you click the x takes you to another link!!!

Porter

my other question-
if your using a preset, lets say "big snare with kickback", is there a way to make the effect, when you double click it to review the which preset it is, say which preset it is instead of it just having a blank stare when you ask it that question?....:D

spacedye said:
my other question-
if your using a preset, lets say "big snare with kickback", is there a way to make the effect, when you double click it to review the which preset it is, say which preset it is instead of it just having a blank stare when you ask it that question?....:D
Nah, old complaint voiced by many of us. The preset names are not shown in the window once you close and reopen the effect. According to moskus this is a Microsoft problem with DirectX; but it does make life a bit more complicated for us Cakey's.

BTW, one additional bit of information. You can copy and paste effects within the same project. Hold down the Ctrl key and drag the effect from one track to another. That will copy the effect and all its settings to the new track.

well, thats a nice bit-o-info to know. if i need that in the same project, ill keep that in mind. but your other help worked fine. thanks again D & P....

hey guess what....
i just opened 2 projects control panels, did your click/hold/drag routine and it worked!!!!
WOOHOOO!!!!!
so there ya go. yet another way.

im very happy about this.:D

I thought you could drag and drop effects between projects.

Or was I drunk at the time? :D

spacedye said:
hey guess what....
i just opened 2 projects control panels, did your click/hold/drag routine and it worked!!!!
WOOHOOO!!!!!
so there ya go. yet another way.

im very happy about this.:D
Yeah, that thought occurred to me as I was typing my previous response. I just tried it and the drag and drop method does work between two open projects.

My experience, however, is that I find that effect settings from one project rarely work well in different project. The type of song, the instrumentation used, etc., all affect how an effect will sound. Therefore, I find I need to tweak each effect to work specifically within each individual project.

However, a saved or copied set of parameters might serve at least as a good starting point.

dachay2t,, cool tip, now I can overprocess things in mass:D you know spread the mud around.
what would be cool is if you could "link" to the original. Many times I set up three tracks the same and then vary from there.

Bill

Back