Copa America > Euro 2016

kcearl

I see deaf people
'fraid so....

The euros have been a snorefest, I hope the games perk up in the knock out stages. I watch the euros during the day and the copa games at night, and its night and day with excitment on the field, and zero trouble off the feild.

WTF is the significance of this Copa soccer stuff? I don't understand why this is happening. It's not the olympics and it's not the world cup. So what the hell is it? I watched a few games, but I do't really know what I'm watching.

Euro is for the European countries championship and Copa is for the Americas. The Africans have one as well. As, I would imagine, Asia. If you win one of these titles, you get into the World Cup without having to qualify*

*I have limited knowledge of this stuff so our European brothers will correct me where I'm wrong.

[edit] I should also add that I've been watching the Euro and enjoying it. I don't normally watch soccer, though I do love the game. Both of my brothers are huge soccer fans and one of them works for the AP and is in Paris working at the Euro now.

Euro is for the European countries championship and Copa is for the Americas. The Africans have one as well. As, I would imagine, Asia. If you win one of these titles, you get into the World Cup without having to qualify*

*I have limited knowledge of this stuff so our European brothers will correct me where I'm wrong.

[edit] I should also add that I've been watching the Euro and enjoying it. I don't normally watch soccer, though I do love the game. Both of my brothers are huge soccer fans and one of them works for the AP and is in Paris working at the Euro now.

Ah, okay so this is a qualifier tournament. That makes sense.

This tournament is really making the Europeans look like some dang barbarians lol, with the fan fighting and then those other fans throwing freaking flares onto the pitch the other day. :laughings:

Yeah, basically any tournament, except for the Olympics, that isn't the World Cup is always pretty much a qualifier for the World Cup.

This tournament is really making the Europeans look like some dang barbarians lol, with the fan fighting and then those other fans throwing freaking flares onto the pitch the other day. :laughings:

Yeah, basically any tournament, except for the Olympics, that isn't the World Cup is always pretty much a qualifier for the World Cup.

Hooliganism is back in vogue...the casuals of the eighties now have grown up kids who are doing the same shit their dads did. The Russians were late to the party.

When I was in my early twenties nearly every club had a firm, they ruined the (night)clubs and even took over security at stores youd shop in...it was a pretty dark time for young men around our way. Now the older blokes look back on it through rose tainted specs and the young team are playing at violence, fuvking retards. I reckon its dragged a few of the older team back into play too.

No theyre not qualifiers...theyre just that continents cup to see who's champions...the Copa America is the oldest continental competition, and a couple of concaaf, and sometimes asian teams, get an invite to take part...its basically south american though.

Have seen a lot of the Euros games, but not much very memorable so far. The fan violence has been pretty depressing and unfortunately a friend of mine is one of the England fans who's been jailed as a result of hooliganism. Think he's really screwed things up for himself there sadly.

Iceland have been fun to watch in both their games as they've put everything into them and there are plenty of statistics that underline the impressiveness of their achievement - like if you are an Icelandic male of playing age, you had a 1 in 2,000 chance of making the Euro squad. Ronaldo typically graceless in the face of this.

Italy are deathly boring as ever and Belgium continue to be far less than the sum of their parts.

My money's on a Germany v Spain final, and they're the two best teams in it on current evidence. England might make the semis with a bit of luck and France could have a fairly easy route to that stage too.

Last edited:
Have seen a lot of the Euros games, but not much very memorable so far. The fan violence has been pretty depressing and unfortunately a friend of mine is one of the England fans who's been jailed as a result of hooliganism. Think he's really screwed things up for himself there sadly.

Iceland have been fun to watch in both their games as they've put everything into them and there are plenty of statistics that underline the impressiveness of their achievement - like if you are an Icelandic male of playing age, you had a 1 in 2,000 chance of making the Euro squad. Ronaldo typically graceless in the face of this.

Italy are deathly boring as ever and Belgium continue to be far less than the sum of their parts.

My money's on a Germany v Spain final, and they're the two best teams in it on current evidence. England might make the semis with a bit of luck and France could have a fairly easy route to that stage too.

Yer mate could be in a world of shit!

The iceland story is brilliant...i hope they beat England just to keep it going, and i hate the england national team of course :)

---------- Update ----------

They didnt stand a chance...even if theyd made zero mistakes at the back it wouldve been 2:0

They didnt stand a chance...even if theyd made zero mistakes at the back it wouldve been 2:0

Yeah...I think even the USA team knew that...but man, they just went down so fast and then ugly.

The thing I hate about how USA plays is that as much talent as they may have...they play too conservatively...all the time.
Same shit during the last Word Cup.

Look...if you are the underdog...you know it, the other team knows it, everyone knows it...what's the difference if you lose by 1 or by 4...so at least go in and just endlessly attack them. The USA is well trained and conditioned, they should be able to maintain steady attack...at least go out with your balls out.
Instead, they finesse and try to play technical...and against teams like Argentina, that's never going to work...so run the fuckers into the ground and keep them concerned the whole time.

I would rather see them take 10 so-so shots on goal...instead of waiting for the "perfect" one shot setup.

Yeah...I think even the USA team knew that...but man, they just went down so fast and then ugly.
Our men are not soccer players. It's just not quite in our country's male collective field of interests yet. Our kids love to play it on XBOX, but actually getting out there and doing it is a different story.

But at least we didn't lose to Iceland.

Our men are not soccer players. It's just not quite in our country's male collective field of interests yet. Our kids love to play it on XBOX, but actually getting out there and doing it is a different story.

But at least we didn't lose to Iceland.

Neither did Wales! I don't really give a shit about Football, but it is nice still being in while england are out.

Yeah, total disaster. Unfortunately, its a fucking awful week for Wales too.. aside from the football.

Yer mate could be in a world of shit!

The iceland story is brilliant...i hope they beat England just to keep it going, and i hate the england national team of course :)

Yup, has a responsible job working with vulnerable people too, which I unfortunately can't see him being able to come back to.

Anyway, think that was the single worst performance I've ever seen by any team ever from England on Monday. Got lucky with the early penalty and never really carved out a proper opportunity after that, couldn't string together a single slick passage of play, no movement, no creativity, five yard passes were bouncing off their shins, long passes completely overhit. Rooney particularly dreadful and that free kick from Kane that spooned out wide, jeez. Rashford brought on far too late, but if you're pinning your hopes on a kid still in the youth team this time last year against the lowest ranked team in the tournament, you're in serious trouble.

Fortunately I'm currently feeling about as unhappy with my country as I've ever been, so was struggling to feel much enthusiasm for their progress anyway. Hopefully it's pissed on the chips of a few of the jingoistic knobs who would have loved England to lift the trophy the same year as we flicked two fingers to the rest of Europe.

Iceland have been fantastic all tournament - they had a plan, were stronger and just plain wanted it more. Very happy for them.

Back