Cool Vocal FX...

carlosguardia

Does anybody know how to get this really cool sounding, almost distorted sound with a vocal take. I heard Daft Punk's album the other day (Digital Love) and really dig some of the effects they use; most of them I know how to replicate, but I don't know what they're doing to the voice in some tracks. Here's a small part I copied so that you can hear what I'm talking about and maybe some of you know how to acheive this really cool vocal effect.

Thanks,

Carlos

Attachments

• daft punk.mp3
    51.7 KB · Views: 50
I don't have my PA hooked up to the PC now, so I can't sample, but I have an idea. I once added distortion to my vocal track using a tube guitar amp. It's tricky to mix, but it added a desirable harshness to the vocal.

I am normally an observer here on this forum, but thought that I'd chime in. I once recorded vox tracks with a SM58 -> Dano distortion pedal -> board -> Boss BR-8. My voice does not have alot of grit, and this really gave my singing some attack! The overall effect sounded alot like the posted vox track. My guess is that they used some sort of distorition (go really light if you are using a guitar distortion pedal) plus autotune. I did not keep a dry track in the mix as well (as 2muchstuff mentioned), that would probably be a good idea for the sake of clarity.

charlie

a similar effect could be done with antares autotune, but the original sounds like it was done with a vocoder or talkbox with a keyboard as the source for the notes. you might be able to get a native instruments vocoder. not sure.

Back