cool songs for beginners?

Layla Nahar

Can anyone reccomend some easier cool songs for a newbie to play (any era) My boyfriend keeps showing me songs that are too hard for me!

I'm really enjoying playing "How I wish you were here" (pink floyd) and "the nurse who loved me" (failure) - you can say I prefer darker stuff. I'd really like to get more stuff without barre chords.

Thanks, any suggestions would be good -

I love old Mad Season & AIC stuff. River of Deceit, Wake Up, Brother, Nutshell, are pretty easy tp pick up. Plently more, just some of my favorite slower/darker stuff to pick around with.

I teach younger girls a few nights a week. Can't say I'm in tune w/ easy darker tunes but I'll give it a shot.

I would highly recommend learning the Circle Game by Joni Mitchell. Learn to play it and sing it. why, you ask?

Because it's super long, has only easy chords (w/ only one perfectly predictable Bm if you play in G) and mastering it will improve, not only your rhythm and singing/playing-at-the-same-time quotient, but also your stamina just to get through the darn thing.

Other songs I recommend;

- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (The Band)
- American Pie (Don McClean)
- Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding)
- Stand By Me (Ben E King)
- Maryanne (H Belafonte)

Back