Cool Robin Trower Video

mandocaster

non compos mentis
I found this over at the Marshall Forum.

I loved Trower back in the day. I think he still sounds great. JCM800 (maybe) + Fulltone wah and univibe - awesome tone.

Trower Video

Nice playing, but it was a bit wanky in that big jam on "Bridge of Sighs" in the middle of the vid (the part that lasted from about 8 mins to 15 mins). And this is coming from someone who has appreciation and patience for jam bands. That solo bit felt like watching and listening to someone who is too into the sound of his own guitar and playing to vary it up. Like I said, the playing itself was impressive, but it was a bit too much of a narcissistic display of musicianship for me to appreciate it at all.

it was good, and they could all play much better than i can, but i did look upon it as just an example of what people get like when they reach a certain age. they stand very still and look poncey when they play guitar. im sure he's a brilliant artist, and im judging him here, but thats the way it seemed to me. just my opinion, you're welcome to diss me for it. as ive already said, hes a lot better than me.

Robin Trower is a musician, whose playing comes from a depth of his soul. He has earned the right to be a bit narcissitic...IF...that is what he is at all. I call it playing your heart out. Show me a guitar player with blood sweat and tears, and I'll show you the heart of that man.

He made the hair stand up on my body then and he still does!!! That man can wank!! :D

He kicked ass in the day, and he still kicks some fine ass!!

Listen to a meister and learn! :)

olfunk said:
it was good, and they could all play much better than i can, but i did look upon it as just an example of what people get like when they reach a certain age. they stand very still and look poncey when they play guitar. im sure he's a brilliant artist, and im judging him here, but thats the way it seemed to me. just my opinion, you're welcome to diss me for it. as ive already said, hes a lot better than me.

Trower has looked like that for as long as I have known about him. Except he looks like an old guy. It's not like he he used to wear his guitar really low like Fred Durst, but then he turned 40. He's always looked poncey. So there.

Make no mistake about my earlier post. I wasn't implying that by suggesting that he's a wanker that he isn't playing sincerely. I believe he is pouring his heart and soul into it, but I just think it's narcissistic and boring to watch. It eerily felt like catching someone masturbating or something. Age has nothing to do with it -- I sure don't want to walk in on that. So, pouring his soul into musicial masturbation. Works for some, but not for me. :)

Back