Cool Edit ruining waves?

0-T

I searched the forum up and down and couldn't find anything related to this problem.

Sometimes, after I record a file on Cool Edit, it becomes suddenly unplayable. If I knew how to reproduce the problem, I'd know what's causing it... but it's a mystery to me.

If I open the wav file in winamp, it plays fine... so the file itself is okay. But something about it causes Cool Edit to not be able to read it anymore, it so plays this horrible, loud static.

Also, the wave's appearance looks the same... until I zoom in to a length that it hasn't been viewed at before. Then i see what Cool Edit is really reading... the wave is completely empty from the middle to the top, and these straight lines are running from the middle to the bottom. If I delete the associated .pk file and open the wave again, that's also what I see. How do I get the .pk file to refect the wave's true sound (what winamp is playing)?

The "corrupted" wave is being played through the same Playback Device as the other waves in the same session, which is also the same soundcard that winamp plays the wave through. I'm lost.

version: CEP 1.2a

I'm seeing something similar

I cannot figure this one out, but it is something like what O-T is seeing....

Every once in a while CEP 1.2 will suddenly inject loud digital distortion into a file. I've actually had a few good takes ruined by this garbage, so I'm not very pleased with this particular 'feature'.

The weirdest thing is that when I open the file in edit mode, it looks completely normal (but still has these horrible bursts of white noise). I've tried recording at extra low volumes but I can't replicate the problem.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
rnj@cypress.com

If you are using a trial version or unregistered version of CEP then now and then it introduces funny sounds in your wave. Hope you know how to fix it :P :)

IF you are using a registered vertiona nd still have that problem New CEp2.1 is out, try downloading that.

This has happened to me maybe twice. Once in CEP 1.2a and once in 2.0. - Luckily, both times, it was in a "mixdown" file, so I just went back and remixed it. I assumed it was some glitch introduced during the conversion. I'm not sure if it's the same thing, b/c I didn't try to play the file elsewhere (like in Winamp).

If it started happening on tracks as I was recording them, I would take a large sledgehammer (at least 12lb.) and proceed to perform an exorcism on the evil computer thingy.

royharper3220 said:
whats 2.1 . Am i right in assuming thats not by syntrillium?

Yes it is - there's an update to 2.0 that you can download from Synt's site. It fixes some bugs and adds new features, try it out.

Mike.

Back