Cool Edit Pro + Xp Pro = ?

gasal69

I was able to open audio files from an ordinary CD using Cool Edit Pro and save them to my hard disc as mp3-files.
This feature (function) disappeared after I have installed Windows XP- professional. (There was Windovs Millenium before)

I do not say for sure that XP is causing this fault.

It could be something else but that’s why I am here.

Anyone who did understand my question?
Anyone who has the answer?

In the meantime I’m using Audiograbber to put some audio files on my PC.
Anyway this particular feature isn't important. I am very satisfied
how Cool Edit working on Windows XP Pro!

I believe that is a option when installing the program. It asks what files you want to relate with cep. I don't know if you can change that now....might have to reinstall?

How were you opening them before? By simply browsing the cd with windows explorer and clicking them so they would open in cool edit pro? If that doesn't work anymore, simply open cool edit pro and select file->extract audio from cd.

Open i Cool Edit Pro

feesh said:
How were you opening them before? By simply browsing the cd with windows explorer and clicking them so they would open in cool edit pro? If that doesn't work anymore, simply open cool edit pro and select file->extract audio from cd.

Yeah! Just like that!
I was opening audio files simply by right mouse klick:
Open in:>choose program>Cool Edit.
The feature >extract audio from cd> worked as well. There was no problem at all. Hm.

I used it mostly to steal some drum solos or other sounds from original tracks.
Sometimes, I would choose my favorit songs from different artists and burn it on to one single CD for my car.

I intend to try reinstall CEP!

Thanks guys

Maybe this is something to do with XPs missing ASPI driver?

Some programs use an optical drive command protocol called ASPI to access CD audio and other non Windows types (such as AKAI sample CDs). Apparently, ASPI is a way of sending SCSI type commands to IDE/Atapi drives. The so-called "ASPI layer" was left out of XP. The latest version of CEP (Adobe Audition) has the option to use ASPI or Windows XP protocol called SPTI, but you can add the ASPI back in XP for use with versions of programs written before XP such as Cool Edit 2000 or in order to load Akai samples into virtual samplers etc.

Nero have an ASPI driver here...
http://www.nero.com/us/631940733573829.html

Or the Adaptec one...
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

You have to associate CEP with CDA files upon installation. I'm running XP as well, and I have no issues with it. (Adobe Audition)

Hm

Change of POETS said:
You have to associate CEP with CDA files upon installation. I'm running XP as well, and I have no issues with it. (Adobe Audition)

Hm! I did that. Thank you, but I did not solve the problem.
When I open an CDA only thing I get is track with two tiny lines, one on the right and one of the left channel. It's opening too fast.
It should be opening slowly (not too slow as well :))
Something else is missing.
I installed CEP on my other PC too (also with XP-PRo).
I was being careful to select CDA files during installing.

Same f..... problem!
This is not big deal. I can live without it. It's the frustration that killing me!

Change of POETS said:
Interesting... Do you have a purchased copy of CEP or a bootleg?

Sounds like you're missing something.

It’s a bootleg! BUSTED!!!!!!
But it worked fine with my old Windows Millennium which I hated.

Thanks anyway!

By the way, is there any web site where people share their CEP achievements?
I would like to know if my mixdowns are good enough!
Sometimes they seem to me just fine but I need something to compare with.

Ok, one more time...
http://www.nero.com/us/631940733573829.html
Audition will extract CDa in XP because being a recent version it knows how XPs CD access works. CEP being written before XP, does not. In fact, Audition can select either way of doing it.
All you should have to do is install the ASPI driver in XP, then CEP will have a means to rip CDa that it understands.

There was a long thread on this in the Adobe forum, and I believe Adobe also has a FAQ (most of which are old Syntrillium CEP ones).

Mind you, the Nero ASPI driver is just the .dll, I'll be back later with the method of installing it if you're stuck. Personally, I used the Adaptec one I linked earlier as this has a .bat installer. I believe this works just as well as the Nero one.

I posted a mix in the MP3 Clinic here a couple of weeks ago.

It got about 30 views, and not one reply.

Speaking from a purely personal perspective, you understand, the Mixing Clinic sucks hard with big lips. What A Waste Of Time.

Sorry for mincing my words. I can't bear directness. :)

Last edited:
dobro said:
I posted a mix in the Mixing Clinic here a couple of weeks ago.

It got about 30 views, and not one reply.

Speaking from a purely personal perspective, you understand, the Mixing Clinic sucks hard with big lips. What A Waste Of Time.

Sorry for mincing my words. I can't bear directness. :)
I agree dobro. I haven't posted a mix in there in quite some time.

Jim Y said:
Never mind the Nero version - too complicated.
Here...
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/31682.htm

Am I missing something??????

What about this?
Caution!!!!
Do NOT install ASPI32.EXE with Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Easy CD Creator 4.x, or with Windows Media Player 7.0. If you have one of these applications (or operating systems), you will be using a different aspi layer that will conflict with the one provided in this file.

I think I misunderstood some parts of your advises, guys!
I can Hydraulics but Computer is just a tool for me.
Like a hammer or screwdriver.

Which driver do I need? Sorry?

http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
This is the best one because it checks what is there, clears it out and then installs the best ASPI version for audio (4.6). It did no harm to my pc as I installed this so programs could read Akai sample Cds - the point of ASPI being that it supports non-msdos type disks of which an audio cd definately is.

I installed this over a year ago, so my memory is dim, but I think it has an option to back-up any existing ASPI drivers so you can go back.

Where you could run into trouble is if you have an Adaptec SCSI interface and that requires a later version ASPI than the best one for audio. The other things are DirectCD type programs for using formatted CDr/w storage (packet writing). I don't use this at all (cd-r are so cheap, why bother?).
I have Nero on my machine but have not installed it's InCD (their version of DirectCD). Nero has installed it's own ASPI but that appears to be private to Nero - it did not help with my Akai reading problem - and there have been no crashes from installing the ForceASPI version.

Of course, there is much to gain by upgrading to Audition 1.5, but I saw in a thread that someone still had to install ASPI because their CD burner was too old for the XP SPTI system! And another user upgraded the drive to achieve the same.
Another thing is get a Plextor CD burner - the included Plextools utility has an excellent ripper as well as other worthwhile tools.

I don't know if you can read this thread without a log in...
http://www.adobeforums.com/
Find the Audition/Hardware and Soundcards forum and you'll see a thread about CD ripping *Can't read CD audio*. Click 'show all messages'.
You'll see that people have solved the problem either by running ForceASPI or simply dropping the Nero winaspi32.dll into their Windows/System32 folder.

Thank you Jim Y

Jim Y said:
I don't know if you can read this thread without a log in...
http://www.adobeforums.com/
Find the Audition/Hardware and Soundcards forum and you'll see a thread about CD ripping *Can't read CD audio*. Click 'show all messages'.
You'll see that people have solved the problem either by running ForceASPI or simply dropping the Nero winaspi32.dll into their Windows/System32 folder.

It worked! It was as simple as that!
I dropped this DLL-file into Windows/System32.
I don't know how did I miss this part of instruction. Maybe no one told me that. Itried to dropp it into NERO folder. It doesn't matter now. It works!
God bless you!
Have a nice day!

I thought there was more to it than that too!
I'm off to the pub now and will pretend you bought me a drink.
;)
Cheers

Back