Convolving a direct bass

Ripthorn

I have a cheap bass that does not have the best sound. Something I have tried is recording it directly into my interface and then convolving it with impulse responses I found of a beta52 on an svx. Has anyone done something similar? If so, do you have any sources for good IR's of bass rigs?

I've used SIR with Tech21 impulses on a sampled bass to put a little more grit on the sound. I love convolution processing, short wrote an article on FrugalGuitarist.com about it. However, one thing to remember is to start with the best tone for the best end results. I'd be interested to see some good IR links for bass rigs as well.

Are tech21 impulses commercial? I would even be interested in seeing some IR's from Line6's bass model pack (they seem to have some decent tones there, from what I heard online).

here's your fair warning, I'm a science guy, so I hope this doesn't get too deep. Convolution is a process of basically filtering one signal through another. An impusle response is a time domain measurement that indicates how a certain system (like a bass amp) responds to any incoming signal. If you take the signal of just a fender jazz bass and convolve it with an ampeg svx impulse response, it will sound like you actually played it through the amp (in reality, that is all the amp does, it applies its own impulse response to you bass' signal, that is why each amp and setting has its own unique sound). Reverb programs like altiverb, waves IR-1 and gigapulse work on convolving (applying convolution to) your recorded signal, like vocals, with the impulse response of a room. It's a pretty popular topic in modern recording, but mostly for reverb and not for making a bass sounds like it was played through a $3000 amp (though I find that to be an extremely appropriate use).

I was mainly posting to see if others do the same and if they knew of any good places to get impulses commercially or for free (free is much nicer on the pocketbook).

Back