Converting to MP3

How do you create a master MP3?

• Export directly from the DAW to both wav and mp3

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Export a master wav, then use the same DAW and the final wav to export a 2nd, mp3 file

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Use a 3rd party converter program

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • none of the above (so let me know in the thread)

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Maor

Hi guys, just a quick question- which app or method you use to convert your final .wav exports to mp3?
is there any difference exporting an MP3 from protools, cubase, adobe audition? and if so- what should i pay attention to, except the KBPS value of course?

I have found that rendering to an MP3 can be a little tricky because of the way MP3 compresses audio files. Normally bass cuts a pretty wide path in the mix, and that's even more dominant in MP3s, in my experience. When you start getting down to 192kbps and below you can start to hear the compression in missing definition. And a typical speed of 128kbps that is common on NetRadio, background in music videos, etc, where file size and performance is more of an issue. It's a good compromise at 128kbps between other requirements and the audio still sounding fairly good. So the lower speed/definition I need to go with the final MP3, the lighter on bass I will mix it so the mp3 mix-down/eq doesn't sound too bassy and muddy. But that also depends on how much other stuff (how many dominant tracks) is going on in the mix to start with. If you play around with it you will get a good feel for the particular type of music you are working with.

Of course much more knowledgeable people will be chiming in to give you better info and more specifics. Hope that helps.

Edit: I forgot to add that I added the Lame Encoder (lame_enc64.dll) to Reaper for rendering mix-downs or master EQ'ing to MP3s. YMMV

Last edited:
I do my mixes in Reaper and then usually export mp3s with Audacity. It's just a little bit faster and easier, especially if I want to normalize the file first.

Anymore I mostly upload wave files and let the site convert them according to its specification. The only times I make mp3s myself is for emailing or if some website requires it.

I export to wave, do any mastering-type things required (generally just a bit of level tweaking and maybe some limiting) then make MP3 copies from the final mix track.

I just use the MP3 codec built into my DAW (Audition). Like Bouldersoundguy MP3 is just a preview copy for emailing or posting anyway--any serious work/distribution is with the wave files.

Hehehe...I also use a Fraunhofer codec, in my case in Audition.

The thing is, I've heard lots of people arguing how much better LAME is than Fraunhofer while others argue the other way around. I've yet to hear the results of any truly blind testing but have to guess that there really isn't much--if any--difference.

I convert to MP3 using Roxio Creator Audio Editor, gives choice of high or low resolution (not sure of the numbers offhand) and is fast.

I export a .wav file from Reaper, load it into a new project and apply dynamics and EQ to it, then export it to MP3 with the LAME encoder. My computer tends to choke up if I try to apply effects on the master bus of a mix, so I pretty much have to do it this way anyways. But I like that I end up with a .wav file that has plenty of headroom if I were to ever send anything off to be mastered.

I export a .wav file from Reaper, load it into a new project and apply dynamics and EQ to it, then export it to MP3 with the LAME encoder. My computer tends to choke up if I try to apply effects on the master bus of a mix, so I pretty much have to do it this way anyways. But I like that I end up with a .wav file that has plenty of headroom if I were to ever send anything off to be mastered.

I would export the eqed/compressed "mastered" audio to a wave and then do the encoding/wrecking to mp3 as a separate step. Then if you need to produce an mp3 at a different level of compression or with different software, or you need to upload a wave with your home "mastering" process, it's simpler.

I've always done all my outs in WAV just like most here, but if I have to convert to MP3, I use a stand alone program (Freemake Audio Converter). It's free. Google it if you want it. I usually work in 96 @ 24 bit and then convert down from there to whatever bit rate I need with the converter. 320k, 256k, 192k or even 128k if I don't care what it sounds like. MP3s are not that great on sound, but okay for listening.

MP3 is the work of the devil, but...

...until we all have high speed fibre direct to the studio (and our clients have the same) sometimes it's necessary to use a compressed format for speed of transmission if you need to send something off quickly.

Of course, this doesn't mean that MP3 has any place in the production process, nor does it mean that the final master should be MP3 either. It's just a highly undesirable distribution format that I'm forced into using sometimes.

High Speed Fibre - you're dreamin.
It was going to be that but now it's fibre to the node and copper to the house IF we're lucky. At my distance from the exchange and the small size of our village we won't get any improvement in network cabling until the NBN has been, gone & the govt changed again.

Curse you Tony Abbott and curse you Labor for handing the moron the election on a silver platter.

It's even more frustrating for me in a way. The city I'm in is/was fairly high up the NBN list and some parts are already installed and working. Just not my part and, of course, all work has now stopped. My NBN status has gone from "second half 2014" to "Not known".

Still don't like MP3 any better though.

My question on the music compression scheme is: Why did MP3 win out? OGG and AIF are both just as compact, and don't make your hi-hats and cymbals sound like they went through a Cuisinart.

Back