Converting from PC to Mac - DAW considerations

zoomoon

I've been a PC user all my life, but mostly because I haven't been willing to shelve out more money for a Mac. I'm finally thinking of getting an iMac, however, perhaps in the next year or so.

The DAW I use is Sonar, and as it turns out it's PC only at the moment! I like it well enough, but it's a little dreary, and the audio settings can be a real pain. I guess I'm also just used to it. If I got a Mac I guess I would invest in Logic...it might be annoying to have to learn a new program, especially since I've heard Logic has a large learning curve, but also edifying, and good to get a bit of perspective on DAWs. Also, some people would consider Logic an upgrade, as it seems like it now rivals Protools as one of the top DAWs.

I've also used Cubase LE i.e. light version, which I liked a lot despite the lack of features, and which is both Mac and PC. Perhaps it would make sense to get the full edition?

Anyone else made the shift from PC to Mac and had to think about this? I also just generally prefer Macs, so it's not just a recording consideration.

ive been a cubase user for years. and just got a used mac g5. so im excited to see how things work myself. I love cubase. i mainly record audio,(ie mic'd instruments) the midi stuff confuses me but i have been able to record some midi tracks. I'm don't know the other programs but i am a happy cubase user.

I've got cubase on a Mac as well as windows and when you have the program open you can't even tell the difference. If your gonna blow a bunch of money on a mac don't do it for recording.

I've got cubase on a Mac as well as windows and when you have the program open you can't even tell the difference. If your gonna blow a bunch of money on a mac don't do it for recording.

I'd have to agree with that. Why not just build a PC for a grand and stick with the software you already know well?

I'd have to agree with that. Why not just build a PC for a grand and stick with the software you already know well?

Plus the fact that a grand in Windows money will get you a lot more than a grand in Mac money. =P
My computer was about a grand of your American monies and was about equal to a grand and half if I'd gone Mac.

I think their laptops could be worth it for mobile recording though, as Windows laptops are just as bad for not having the modular setup like their desktop counterparts. At least Mac laptops have all the parts matched to work well together. But desktop, go for the modular setup. Even if you want to run Mac OS, you'd be better off with that ability to upgrade bit by bit when you need it.

I pity you for going Mac, but I'd say Reaper. I used to struggle with Cubase, Sonar etc just to get something simple done (not my skill but the apps desire to crash all the time...) Reaper... mm.. slice o' heaven.

Don't listen to them! Buy your mac. You'll love it!

Reaper runs on mac. You could try it out and see how it goes.

I duno about the logic learning curve thing though. Any daw is going to have that.

Don't listen to them! Buy your mac. You'll love it!

Reaper runs on mac. You could try it out and see how it goes.

I duno about the logic learning curve thing though. Any daw is going to have that.

Let's go mate! Have at you! PC or die! lol! ! !

Go with what you feel comfortable spending your money on.

I like a Red Bull in the morning. Some like the cheaper Monster energy drink. They both wake you up.

I like a PC in the evening. Others like a stable Mac. They both get our work done.

Mac or PC=Sushi or Hamburger Helper (order not meant to describe). They both make a turd in the end right?........

Everybody poops. :D

Let's go mate! Have at you! PC or die! lol! ! !

Go with what you feel comfortable spending your money on.

I like a Red Bull in the morning. Some like the cheaper Monster energy drink. They both wake you up.

I like a PC in the evening. Others like a stable Mac. They both get our work done.

Mac or PC=Sushi or Hamburger Helper (order not meant to describe). They both make a turd in the end right?........

Everybody poops. :D

All that, just for a poop joke. ;D

There really is no difference between Mac and PC these days. It really just boils down to "Do I like how the GUI looks?" or "Should I buy a Mac just for the sake of having one." But since you're already committed to the switch I'd recommend you go with Pro Tools only because it's an industry standard. For PC's I'll recommend SONAR X1 because unlike Pro Tools it runs in 64-bit and has a 64-bit audio engine (something other DAWs, including Pro Tools, still don't have).

There really is no difference between Mac and PC these days. It really just boils down to "Do I like how the GUI looks?" or "Should I buy a Mac just for the sake of having one." But since you're already committed to the switch I'd recommend you go with Pro Tools only because it's an industry standard. For PC's I'll recommend SONAR X1 because unlike Pro Tools it runs in 64-bit and has a 64-bit audio engine (something other DAWs, including Pro Tools, still don't have).

Although mostly true, there is still the difference in price and modular ability. Which a custom PC wins at over a factory built Mac. If you really want that Mac OS, just build your own PC and load up the Mac OS instead of Windows.

Although mostly true, there is still the difference in price and modular ability. Which a custom PC wins at over a factory built Mac. If you really want that Mac OS, just build your own PC and load up the Mac OS instead of Windows.

We can do that ?? There wont be any compatibility issues ?

We can do that ?? There wont be any compatibility issues ?

Not since Macs have switched to Intel. If you're going AMD, you could find problems, but I have no idea. But Intel is what the Macs use now and you can easily build your own computer with Intel parts. Everything is basically the same, just the OS is different.

Not since Macs have switched to Intel. If you're going AMD, you could find problems, but I have no idea. But Intel is what the Macs use now and you can easily build your own computer with Intel parts. Everything is basically the same, just the OS is different.

I don't think it's as easy as you say

Back