Converter..analog to ADAT?

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
Are there converters available to convert analog channels to ADAT so I could plug it into a lets say...a digi 003 via the adat?

I've only been able to find one. But it looked extremely crappy.

Are there any respected ones out there?

Thanks guys.

Elliot

Are there converters available to convert analog channels to ADAT so I could plug it into a lets say...a digi 003 via the adat?

Thanks guys.

Elliot

As i told you in your other post the Alesis AI3 converts from analog to ADAT and viceversa, the other alternative is a seriously beaten ADAT unit which converters work ok, that way you could use it only to convert the signal. The best one i've found in the low price / quality is the AI3 i just mentioned but its hard to find cuz its now discontinued. If you are willing to spend more money look for something like the Lucid 88192 which is again Analog to digital, and digital to analog.... Other options are using a cheap digital mixer like a Yamaha 01v with the ADAT expansion card, other option is buying one of the Apogee converters, etc.. If you only want to record id go with an analog to digital converter, if you want to record digital and mix analog, go with an Analog to digital to analog converter such as the Alesis AI3 i just mentioned.
Also check out RME, they make really good converters at an affordable price..

Cheers

Lucid makes them as does Apogee.
RME makes several units.
Behringer makes one that is purported to be "OK"

Thanks guys.

Elliot
Elliot,I have the 003 and I'm using the Apogee rosetta 800 through the adat connection.This is super clean! check out my studio at www.sterlingsoundstudios.com

Elliot,I have the 003 and I'm using the Apogee rosetta 800 through the adat connection.This is super clean! check out my studio at www.sterlingsoundstudios.com
Damn, that's twice as much as a Digi 003...Looks nice though. Might be out of my pricerange.
For small budgets, the Behringer ADA8000 and bypass the pres, unless you want them
Now that's cheap. I'm always unsure about behringer. But it might be worth it if I consider going to protools LE rather than HD. Which would mean I'd be ordering things in about a year rather than 4.

How many analog channels at once does it need to handle? That'll make a difference with regard to which units will do the trick.

If 2 channels will work:

I don't have one of these, so I'm not recommending it specifically (and I'm basically an ignorant moron in this area, anyway...), but if you're shopping around, you should look into the Black Lion Audio Sparrow:

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/micro_adc.html

2 channels to AES or S/PDIF (not ADAT, but I bet your 003 will accept either/both of the other formats?).

I've got their microclock and a mod they did to my MOTU Traveler, and I'm very happy with both.

8 channels I believe I'll need. ADAT, not spdif.
Looks like the 2 channel one you just have a link for is only for s/pdif. So yeah.

I need ADAT.

The whole scheme of this is to use a 16 channel analog mixer hooked up to my Digi 003r

Hi, new member.

I also have been looking for an analog to adat unit to add inputs to my
RME Fireface 400.

I checked up on the Behringer ada8000 and here's what I found:

The 8 mic pres are nothing to write home about. Low cost tl074 op amps and discretes are used.

The line inputs are padded down and sent through the mic pres. ;(

The transformer has very high secondary voltages the cause the linear
voltage regulators to run very hot and often fail. (this may have been fixed)

There are some known clocking issues with RME gear.

BUT....I find it as low as $US149!

Another I found is a little SM pro audio unit with unbalanced line ins.
I design gear, so this might be a good one for me to get...then rip out
the analog sections and build in some very good THAT 1512 based mic pres
along with a high quality balanced op amp line in. I really just need the converters and stuff. The sm unit is also $149, and uses fairly good cirrus
and alesis 24 bit chips.

Les

Alright, well googling the alesis one, I found some hits. Whether their in stock or not is another situation. But someone mentioned using some other thing just for the converters...

So lets say I get the M-Audio Octane preamp.

I could run my outputs into that, then use the adat to my digi 002/003 or whatever.

Right? that would work fine?

That's only 600 bucks new. I could probably find one for 450 used or so. And That's definitely in my pricerange.

By "that" you mean the converter and "adat" you mean an actual adat or the adat input?

I'd run the outputs of my mixer into the octane preamp to bypass the preamps on the octane. And then run the out of the ADAT digital to my 002/003.

Converter analog to adat:

The alesis ai3 is good advice,, there is a modification that you can get from black lion audio that makes this a very nice home unit,, that does low budget good home recordings for under $700
I paid $200 for my alesis ai3 and the modification is going to cost $420 w/return shipping, for the premium modification. $310 w/return shipping for the standard modification.

I am getting decent results without the modification although I am looking forward to getting the mod.

I run a hammerfall dsp digiface, with the alesis ai3 interface,, a good Mic preamp with a shure ksm27 mic into cubase 5 and I am getting competent results for good demo work...

I have a total of 4 Behringer ADA8000 ADAT converters which is use for live sound work. They are now more than six years old and have been reliable workhorses for that time.

The pre-amps are okay-ish unless you get into the top 10% or so of the adjustment range, then they get too noisy for my liking. If you can stick to sources which don't need to strain the pre-amps they're acceptable--I use them mainly for line level sources (usually radio mic inputs which come out of the receivers at line level) and they're fine.

I've never had any syncing/wordclock issues but I distribute WC to them via the coax inputs--I never sync to the ADAT inputs.

Yes, there are better sounding units out there but they tend to cost several times the price. For me, they work.

Bob

Back