Conversation in the bar

tangerine

grumpy bastard
Me and a few friends were having a conversation about compression and when and where to use it. We all agreed that we don't like to compress a final mix because we like to keep the dynamics of the song intact. Point in question, the good charlotte's track "keep your hands off my girl".

Having taken one look at this wave (and listening to what I think is a decent pop song), I am definitely starting to agree with Bob Dylan r.e. dynamics. Just have a look at the attached screen grab.

That track has a dynamic range of about 2db

Attachments

• Good Charlotte - Over Compressed.JPG
    Good Charlotte - Over Compressed.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 112
Me and a few friends were having a conversation about compression and when and where to use it. We all agreed that we don't like to compress a final mix because we like to keep the dynamics of the song intact. Point in question, the good charlotte's track "keep your hands off my girl".

Having taken one look at this wave (and listening to what I think is a decent pop song), I am definitely starting to agree with Bob Dylan r.e. dynamics. Just have a look at the attached screen grab.

That track has a dynamic range of about 2db
This is a picture after mastering.. sure, a pretty loud mix was probably involved, but that's all mastering right there.

You could also be hiding song with a ton of dynamic range in picture like that. All you need is a song with a forward percussion mix, the rest depends on the horizontal scale vs the BPM.

Back