Controlling Cakewalk from a footswitch

MercyfullMusic

I am using a Delta 1010 and Sonar. Can I start and stop recording with a single footswitch of some kind? Would it be MIDI? What settings would I have to change?

I am recording acoustic guitar in one room by myself with the computer in the other (and no one to mash buttons). I did this before with my Minidisc recorder but it had a special jack for a footswitch and it was not MIDI.

Thanks.

lol, geez man your really making things hard on yourself huh? Why are you in another room? is it a sound booth of some sort? I don't understand...........

BTW, I really don't know the answer to your question sorry :( but I imagine it would be a midi deal.....other than that I'm just curious as to know why you want to do this...

-nave

Why?

Yeah, I want to be in the other room because it is a sound booth and also has no computer (hence less noise picked up by the good mic I'm using).

Yes you can do it with midi, if you have midi stuff in the other room. Do you?
If not, here is a crazy idea I just thought of:
Get a really long chord for your computer keyboard. Put on floor in other room. Rig up some pedal that softly hits the space bar without damaging it. Sounds stupid, but I bet it would work.

Actually, I think you have to hit R to record, so maybe it is stupid after all. You can still have the computer keyboard in your vocal booth, that might help you some

Wow , mercy I wish my home studio was as cool as yours :).....
Nice good luck dude

-nave

Auto Punch..........

Why not use the Auto Punch feature? You can get pretty precise with this. Something I've done in the past: Start another track and paste the new part over where you want it to go on the original track. I've used a footswitch with my hard disk recorder and it was nice to have. It had a 1/4" jack. I have a 1010 too, but haven't explored that particular use for midi. Why not, though.

Havn't done this myself, but plan to shortly....

You should be able to program Sonar to respond to a midi note on and off to begin recording.... go to this web site for a midi pedal that should be able to send that message.

http://www.midisolutions.com/

Thats some good info thanks, I been looking for a way to start and stop Sonar on a laptop. I'm going to try and use it for a live application. I think that pedal looks like it would do it. I'm gonna check into it a lil more. Thanks for the info.:D

If you get a pedal, let us know how it works. The pedal is programable (and they give you a little program so you can do it), so it may have other uses as well.

Take care

Back