Controller + Module Question

ja_cote

Hoping someone can assist.

If I wanted to, could I buy a controller and a sound module and have that work just like a stand-alone (Example, QS8, S03, PK6) keyboard/synth unit?

Meaning, what I really need is to be able to play through speakers, no computer for live performance, or into my sound card for home recording. I don't want to be limited to one sound set.

So, is my best bet to buy a controller and sound module separate? I don't understand MIDI at all, so I am not sure what kind of controller and sound module I would need.

Also, do most of these sound modules have standard line out jacks that could go into sound cards? I have a decent enough sound card and have used an alesis QS8 for recording in the past.

If, after all this, my best option is still a key/synth all in one, is the E-MU PK-6 or Vintage Keys a decent enough choice? If not, what would you pick over that in this price range? $400-600

I record pop, blues, some electronic stuff and/or downtempo stuff...You know, a mix...no hip hop...but, sampled pianos, organs, and maybe basses are top priority. Suggestion welcome.

Thanks guys...sorry for the newbieness....

Jeff

Synth vs. controller + module is 6 in one 1/2 dozen in the other.

Pretty much the same thing although for that price you might be able to get a controller with more control features than say a pk6... Then you just have to decide which modules you want.
In the best bang for the buck category with plenty of the sounds you need I reccomend a roland jv1010.

You could probably find a used Roland XP30 in that price range. I've owned mine for 3 years now. 1,200 onboard sound with room for 2 more SR-JV expansion boards and very good keyboard action. It already has the Session, Orchestral and Techno expansion boards built in. I particularly like the stereo piano and acoustic guitar sounds on the Session board.

The downside is that it has finally been discontinued this year. I really don't care much for Roland's new RS series synths.

The JV1010 is basically the module version of the XP30. Its successor, the XV2020 was released earlier this year as well

brzillion and I have been round and round on this issue before.

I personally see no upside in buying a dedicated all in one keyboard at this point.

I am actively transfiguring my rig to be all rack mounted moduels with three or four quality controllers.

Lets look at the upside.

Cost - The cost of all in one keyboards is higher than their rackmounted module counterparts. Therefore, you save money in the long run.

Space - The space taken up by a few controllers and a rack system with up to 12 modules in it is far less than 12 keyboards would be. Not to mention all the keyboard stands that you would have to buy (again added cost).

Portability - One or three keyboard cases and a single rack. The controllers are always lighter than they keyboards with like number of keys and actions (i.e. weighted). You could carry a rack case with 12 mods in one hand and an 88 key weithed controller in its case in the other.

Versatility - Controllers these days have assignable faders, wheels and knobs to control many synth parameters in real time. Most all in one keyboards do not have this access without dialing through menus and submenus. Certainly not often in real time.

Expandability - This system grows with you. If you tire of a module, you can drop it and still keep the keys you like most (because you specifically chose these controllers for their actions, number of keys and various wheels, knobs and other onboard controls). If you get tired of a controller or find a controller with a better feel or more features, you can lose a controller that you don't like and still keep all the sounds that you love.

I don't see any downside.

Carl

all great ideas and advice

Thanks for the direction from all.

Experience sure does help me in making my decision. I will be soaking in the info collected and make a decision soon.

Thanks Again...

Krakit said:
brzillion and I have been round and round on this issue before.

I personally see no upside in buying a dedicated all in one keyboard at this point.

I am actively transfiguring my rig to be all rack mounted moduels with three or four quality controllers.

Lets look at the upside.

Cost - The cost of all in one keyboards is higher than their rackmounted module counterparts. Therefore, you save money in the long run.

Space - The space taken up by a few controllers and a rack system with up to 12 modules in it is far less than 12 keyboards would be. Not to mention all the keyboard stands that you would have to buy (again added cost).

Portability - One or three keyboard cases and a single rack. The controllers are always lighter than they keyboards with like number of keys and actions (i.e. weighted). You could carry a rack case with 12 mods in one hand and an 88 key weithed controller in its case in the other.

Versatility - Controllers these days have assignable faders, wheels and knobs to control many synth parameters in real time. Most all in one keyboards do not have this access without dialing through menus and submenus. Certainly not often in real time.

Expandability - This system grows with you. If you tire of a module, you can drop it and still keep the keys you like most (because you specifically chose these controllers for their actions, number of keys and various wheels, knobs and other onboard controls). If you get tired of a controller or find a controller with a better feel or more features, you can lose a controller that you don't like and still keep all the sounds that you love.

I don't see any downside.

Carl

:p

I don't think I've seen one, but it's certainly possible. There are (or were) sound modules with a built-in sequencer. My TQ-5 had one.

Y'know, I should pull it out of mothballs and see if it still SUCKS!

I think I paid $100 for it.;)

Back