Controller / Keyboard

rsb

I am trying to decide the best solution for a controller or a keyboard. ( I suppose there is a nested question there )

A little history is necessary, I purchased Sonar 1.x but have not had a lot of time to learn it yet. I will be dedicating more time to it after a few weeks.

I will be purchasing the upgrade to 3 so I can learn what it most up to date rather than 1.x.

I have an RME PST ( No Midi ) an am trying to decide what would be the best solution to get piano/ synth recorded an maybe use as a midi controller.

I have been looking at the different usb options such as edirol or radium.

What would you do in this situation based of of only owning Sonar 3? I would like to stay in the $200 range. I do not play the piano well so I do not mind if it is weighted or not.

I hope I have provided enough info for a reply but if there is anything else you would need to give me your opinion let me know.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

As long as your PC is powerful enough, then you should be able to simply rely on using software synths for your sounds. You do not need an external synth for sounds. You can save some money and simply get a MIDI controller.

Sonar 3 provides a number of software synths, plus there are a large number of free software synths that you can download off of the net and use within Sonar 3, both DXi and VST format.

Best regards,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR, SONAR 2 and SONAR 3 Power! books. All books 30% off at:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of Native Instruments' INTAKT software loop sampler and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 15,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

I had exactly the same requirement and I only use HS 2002, not Sonar even. I went for the Evolution 361C USB. I believe the new model is called the 461C. Its a fine keyboard and I use it exclusively with synths and Samplers/Romplers.

My soundcard is an M-Audio Delta66+omni.;)

Back