Control surface

Hello all!
I have just purchased Sonor Producer 6 and it's quite a learning curve from what I am use to using. I am a former AW4416 user.

I would like to get a control surface mixer for this software. I still prefer actual faders and knobs to my little mouse. I have been looking around and would like to get 24 motorized faders. What I found was a discontinued Tascam US-2400, Mackie, Digidesign Control 24 and JL Cooper products.

I would like a unit that is "Plug & Play" with my Sonor Software. Nothing that requires hours upon hours of setup and tweaking.

My question is, what is a proven, solid control mixer for my application?

Thanks in advance! :)

My question is, what is a proven, solid control mixer for my application?

All of them are proven to be effective.. But Tascam 1884 is designed to work with Sonar.. I would say go for the Mackie Hui, this is your best an safest bet.. I think all the software host daws recognize mackie without any problems and this will save you setup time.. this is your plug and play

I use the Mackie MCU and as far as I am concerned you will not find a more sophisticated, easier to set-up/use controller at this price point. And by purchasing the older model, it has become even more affordable.

The newer model (Mackie MCU Pro) has a few new features and was updated cosmetically. But since I've had my MCU for about 3 years and it does everything I need, I couldn't justify the upgrade. Just not enough "new features" on the Pro unit...

When I first purchased the MCU, I realized immediately that my workflow improved immeasurably. I would estimate the MCU took over 80-85% of tasks formally required of my mouse. Especially during prolonged editing/mixing sessions. No more "mouse" shoulder and arm!

The MCU comes with 8 - 100mm, touch-sensitive, motorized faders. If you need more, just hit the "Banks" button to switch between as many banks of tracks as you have in your project. Or, extenders can be purchased which at 8 faders per extender. I find the using the back selector switch works well enough for me but am considering an extender purchase as they're coming down in price due to the unveiling of the Pro unit.

I love the comprehensive "scribble strips"! By pressing different buttons, you can view (and adjust) all diifferent sorts of track data/parameters.

And for the most part, to get it connected and up and running in SONAR is extremely painless. Yes, I use SONAR 6.

I would not recommend the Mackie HUI. It's been discontinued by Mackie.

Hope this helps.

Mackie MCU...plug-n-play but customizable if desired. I'm a Sonar user as well. Great machine...really like the jog/shuttle wheel, the 2 input foot switch control capability is killer for tracking by yourself. Touch the fader and the track is automatically selected. Takes a little playing with to get around all the features but right out of the box, a couple midi connections and I was up and running in a few minutes.

Be warned, they're a little spendy but I've got no regrets.

Thank you everyone! I think you have sold me on the Mackie. They aren't too bad in price and they are expandable, very cool!
:)

Another vote for the Mackie. I just upgraded (was using a Behringer BCF2000) to the old/original MCU (not the new Pro model) because you can now get them for half the price. It's really nice having a physical button for all the major DAW functions.

I've got the 1884 and am generally happy with it. it has 8 sliders, but can be expanded with 2 FE-8's to 24 sliders. however, it sounds like you just want a control surface not a full digital mixer.

my only caveat... no vista drivers yet (5/14/07) and their dumb-ass software does an unintelligent check of the operating system version in use during the install process.

Back