control rings

axeman_ukl

one of my plastic control heads vibrates when you hit the skin and i saw these what are these control rings made of ?
and who makes them ?

thanking anybody in advance for any light they can shed on this

Attachments

• control heads.jpg
    control heads.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 70
are you sure they look more like the foam you get on the kick drum on the Evans 20" EMAD

I guess I didn't understand the question.:D

If you're talking about those bass drum rings, I think they are foam.

You can buy the control rings in packages for common drum kit sizes. Or spend a few hours learning how to tune your drums so there are no sympathetic vibrations ;). It is possible. Don't get me wrong; I use a ring on my snare just because I gave up trying to tune it for now. I will try again when I have some down time. Or maybe not. After all, I am so lazy that I married a pregnant woman :p.

Are you asking about Aquarian Studio Rings?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Aquarian-Studio-Rings-Set-210121416?sku=449408

227576.jpg

I've got a complete set from 10" up to 16" to use on toms, with doubles of 13" and 14" (to accommodate snare drums.) When a drummer brings in his garbage drumset, these rings become essential.

I think the picture you showed above is of heads with rings built in.
260041.jpg

yea, im pretty sure those are aquarian heads like shown above, with no external muffling.

i think the white ring in the picture you posted was an older model of the heads pictured above. i think its some sort of foam/felt, like used in the aquarian super kick.

also stated above, moongels are great!...and if you on a super budget... duct tape!

I would suggest Moon Gel over rings any day. They are easier to place in precise spots and very adaptable (you can use more than one piece of gel....or you can cut a piece of gel in half).

Regarding the use of duct tape..............use masking tape instead, it leaves much less of a sticky residue. In fact some folded up tissue paper (or toilet paper) secured with masking tape, can work as good as any commerical product.

I've used the Aquarian rings in the studio on my snare and I liked it for that. I didn't like them on my toms and I use Moon Gels for them and very often I use the Moon Gels on the resonator head of the toms and nothing on the top heads to kill any overly reverberating ring in the studio.
Playing live is a whole different story. Just well tuned drums work best for me (except for the kick drum of corse, that's muffled)

I've used those rings. Meh. They're okay. They muffle too much. I prefer moongels. In the studio, use whatever you need to get the sound you want. If you are focused on live performance, get the right freaking heads and tune them correctly.

Back