Control interface for Pro Tools LE??

Feanor IV

Hello,

I bought a Digidesign mBox the other day and I'm very satisfied with it. However, what I wish I could also have is a control surface to play with (mixing etc), like Digi002. Of course Digi002 is not *just* the surface, it's also a full recording interface with 8 channels etc, which I don't need. All I want is just the surface with the sliders etc, so that I don't have to move the sliders from my Pro Tools LE sessions with my mouse. Is there anything like that available which would be good for me? Any help will be really appreciated :)

Ps. The only reason I didn't buy Digi002 is, of course, that I don't have the money! :D

Thanks,
Menelaos

Feanor IV said:
Hello,

I bought a Digidesign mBox the other day and I'm very satisfied with it. However, what I wish I could also have is a control surface to play with (mixing etc), like Digi002. Of course Digi002 is not *just* the surface, it's also a full recording interface with 8 channels etc, which I don't need. All I want is just the surface with the sliders etc, so that I don't have to move the sliders from my Pro Tools LE sessions with my mouse. Is there anything like that available which would be good for me? Any help will be really appreciated :)

Ps. The only reason I didn't buy Digi002 is, of course, that I don't have the money! :D

Thanks,
Menelaos

See the following from the Digidesign site:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/mbox/midi.cfm

Note that you will also need to buy a MIDI interface for any of the MIDI based controllers since this doesn't come with an Mbox.

Thank you both! :)

@ masteringhouse: I'm totally confused :( I'm a newcomer here, so I really don't understand much from that page. So, do I need a midi interface to use those Control|24 and Command|8 things they mention? Moreover, if I get it right, is Control|24 and Command|8 some sort of standard/protocol thing, or are they specific models? Would I need a midi interface for these?

Last thing, what would I need a midi interface for, besides this control surface thing?

Looking forward to your reply! :D

Cheers & lots of thanks,
Menelaos

Feanor IV said:

@ masteringhouse: I'm totally confused :( I'm a newcomer here, so I really don't understand much from that page. So, do I need a midi interface to use those Control|24 and Command|8 things they mention?
No.

Moreover, if I get it right, is Control|24 and Command|8 some sort of standard/protocol thing, or are they specific models? Would I need a midi interface for these?
Control24 uses an ethernet port, which I'm guessing most PCs have and I KNOW all macs have. You will NOT need a MIDI interface with one of those. Command 8 uses USB. I've used a Control24 and it works great as a controller, though it has a reputation for breaking down. (and the mic pres SUCK)

Last thing, what would I need a midi interface for, besides this control surface thing?
MIDI transmission from keyboards, sound modules, anything MIDI. Sorry, I didn't even consider that the MBox didn't have MIDI. Haven't ever used one. If you don't have a need for a lot of MIDI ins/outs, I use a 1 channel Edirol USB MIDI interface, that works great with my ProTools HD running ProTools 6.2 and Mac OS 10.2.8. So that in combination with a MIDI control surface should work well - as the Control24 seems like WAY too much surface for your budget, and the cost of the Control8 seems to be about the difference between an MBox and a Digi002.

Feanor IV said:

@ masteringhouse: I'm totally confused :( I'm a newcomer here, so I really don't understand much from that page. So, do I need a midi interface to use those Control|24 and Command|8 things they mention? Moreover, if I get it right, is Control|24 and Command|8 some sort of standard/protocol thing, or are they specific models? Would I need a midi interface for these?

Looking forward to your reply! :D

Cheers & lots of thanks,
Menelaos

I think that the control 24 is going to be out of your budget (around $8K) and possibly the same for the command 8 (around $1,200). Look for a used Peavey PC-1600 for the most econmical way to go (somewhere around $200 or less). Personally I wouldn't even bother with a controller, just use the automation in Protools and spend your money on good mic pres.

MIDI can be used to control any device that understands this protocol. It includes PCs, Samplers, Keyboards, drum machines, outboard effects boxes, and a host of other devices. It can also be used to synchronize 2 different machines (like an analog tape machine with a DAW) by converting SMPTE time code to MTC (MIDI Time code).

MIDI can be used to control any device that understands this protocol

That is, can I use a MIDI controller to control for example the sliders of my Pro Tools sessions? How is this done? Forgive my stupid questions, but I'm really very new to this thing, so I just don't understand the whole thing :) I mean, suppose I use a midi interface and a midi control surface. Will this do what I want? And how much is a typical cost for that?

Thanks very much for all your help, guys, it's really appreciated. :)

Wishes from Greece,
Menelaos

Feanor IV said:
That is, can I use a MIDI controller to control for example the sliders of my Pro Tools sessions? How is this done? Forgive my stupid questions, but I'm really very new to this thing, so I just don't understand the whole thing :) I mean, suppose I use a midi interface and a midi control surface. Will this do what I want? And how much is a typical cost for that?

Thanks very much for all your help, guys, it's really appreciated. :)

Wishes from Greece,
Menelaos

Yes, a MIDI interface, and a MIDI control interface that is supported by Pro Tools LE will do what you want. Essentially it works by sending commands to Pro Tools' automation logic, which in turn control volumes, mutes, etc. The cost is anywhere from around $400 to $8,000 US.

Again, considering what you said about your budget, I wouldn't invest in this if you don't already have good mic pres and mics. These will be much more critical to your recorded sound than having knobs to play with. Just use the virtual mixer in Pro Tools for automation until you have the critical gear that you need.

I see. I guess I'll take your advice, then, and try to find some money for mics, pres and a pair of speakers............ :)

Thanks a lot,
Cheerz!

you need more practice with a mouse. those things are worthless, and so is the 002 control surface IMO.

i used to be an adat user. You know several of those shitty machines sync'ed up together and coming out to a real mixer. Once I made the switch to protools it was a difficult switch. I needed knobs to turn, faders to slide, etc. It was culture shock for me. But after a few months of working in the PT environment, you realize that you can do things faster (and to a point, better) working with a mouse. i have the digi002 and don't use it. I just got so used to my mouse.

take it from me

I like to use two old campbell's soup cans and connect them on the bottom with some 24 gauge copper bare wire then record your band with one of the cans in the room and mic the other can in a separate-but-equal room. I swear it works just like recording lofi, but it sure won't warm up a loofa
'nuff said

I disagree. Who needs practiuce getting carpel tunnel with a mouse.

Personally I'd use what I have. Mackie Control.

fenix said:
you need more practice with a mouse. those things are worthless, and so is the 002 control surface IMO.

It depends on the person me personally I can mix quicker with a control surface because I use my mind and more of my hands. I do not like to mouse the mix because I am a hands on type person so some ppl like to mouse some dont it is all preference.

giles117 said:
I disagree. Who needs practiuce getting carpel tunnel with a mouse.

Personally I'd use what I have. Mackie Control.

Giles, what mackie control do u use. I use the d8b and love it.

Dude, I just went through a similar thing in the Midi forum. I bought the USB connectable Behringer BCF2000 midi control surface. It was $200 new and works with ProTools LE 6.4. You need to have the latest firmware from the Behringer website, AND some files in certain locations on your hard drive. I won't restate the whole solution here, but search for BCF2000 in the Midi forum and you should find it. The BCF2000 can emulate a Baby HUI, which ProTools will see as a Mackie control surface. It's not as fancy looking as the real Mackie, but hey, for the price... :)

Works for me. YMMV.

Back