construction necessities

fretless

hi,

i´m finally about to begin with building of my recording studio in the outbuilding on our property. the building is 13,5 by 4,5 metres and will be internally seperated in two equal halves for live and control room - by room within room constructions.

in fact the outbuilding doesn´t have a real baseplate going through so in between the outer brick walls there´s nothing but soil - must have been a barn or whatever!? because of this i thought of pouring out two separate concrete floor plates (about 20 cm high) with cable ducts etc. - each about 6 by 4 metres so that there´s no contact to the outer walls. on these i would then place my room within room constructions with timber studs and gypsum board.

i guess this should give some good isolation and may even make a resilient channel construction unnecessary or redundant. am i right there?

thanks for your thoughts!

fretless

Depends on how much isolation you need. If you're more concerned about keeping noise from around your outbuilding from getting in, you're probably ok. If you want to maximize isolation of your rooms to the outside--better to go with more.

I know John Sayers in his Left Bank studio design converted a barn-like structure. There, they first lined the existing timber-and-slat walls with insulation and gypsum, then constructed the new room-in-a-room studio walls inside out, with gypsum on timber framing tipped into place, with the timber cavities exposed. This method is reported to provide very good isolation, without the RC channel.

Alex

Back