Constantly having to turn the Phantom power off and on ?

Jovi

My mic is in the same room as my main room . room is 16 x 10 i think ? or 18x10 . Either way, I have a problem. After my artist records something in the mic ( its on the opposite side of the room, away from my monitors ) , if I turn my line out up ( so I can hear what they recorded through the monitors ) , and turn em up, the mic pics it up pretty loud, which is also connected to my monitors, and then i get feedback and everything goes KAPLOAHHH. Its annoying having to turn phantom power on and off, ( and i know its not good to do ), and turning the mic input level down to 0 doesn't when i want my monitors on doesnt work to well either, cuz then I have to turn it back up and forget how high I had it turned up.

help someone ? What do people do when there mic and main room are in the same room ( and there is no iso booth ) .

You should be able to set up the software so that the mic is not monitored during playback, what setup are you using?

Alan.

It would help to know your hardware signal path and software. Normally I'd just use the mute button on the mixer, but you may not have a mixer in your setup. Maybe cut a small piece of board tape in a pointer shape and stick it on the level control to remind you where you had it set. Board tape can be found in art supply stores where they call it artist's tape.

You should be able to set up the software so that the mic is not monitored during playback, what setup are you using?

Alan.

Either way wouldn't it still pick the signal up, and go through the speakers?

Im using a Tascam sound card. At4040 mic and 2 monitors connected to the interface. I tried looking for what you saying in my DAW, no luck yet .... Im using Adobe Audition CS5.5

and @bouldersoundguy , I dont have a mixer in my set up.

I know in my setup I just turn off the record arm function, because I'm not using direct monitoring.

If you're direct monitoring, there's bound to be a knob or button to disable that.

Perhaps you could be more specific and also describe your input monitoring signal path.

AT4040 --> Tascam US-144MKII --> Computer via USB

LINE L/R On monitors goes to LINE OUT L/R on Tascam
I have a midi controller and a piano connected to my tascam but I dont think that really matters.

I think that is all . Please save me :D

Jovi, are you monitoring through the software, or directly.

There's a knob at the top left of your unit that switches between the two.

If it's set to Input, then you'll have the feedback problem.
If it's set to computer, you'll have to put up with slight latency, but you'll be able to turn off record arm and avoid the feedback problem.

I know in my setup I just turn off the record arm function, because I'm not using direct monitoring.

If you're direct monitoring, there's bound to be a knob or button to disable that.

If I do that, the mic still goes through my MONITORS ! Even without any software, if I plug my tascam to my pc and turn phantom on, the monitors will play back anything that goes through the mic. What is direct / in direct monitoring? I guess im using direct .... and I see no know on my Tascam to disable that :(

I found a pic of your unit and described in the last post Jovi.
The knob should say "MON MIX" below it.

Let us know if you have that, and if it works.

Jovi, are you monitoring through the software, or directly.

There's a knob at the top left of your unit that switches between the two.

If it's set to Input, then you'll have the feedback problem.
If it's set to computer, you'll have to put up with slight latency, but you'll be able to turn off record arm and avoid the feedback problem.

OH that knob. Lol. Welllll, if I put it to Input I can only hear my mic, and if I put it to Computer, well, I can only hear what my computer throws back at me. Usually I have an instrumental track playing, and Im trying to record vocals over it, so I usually have it set a bit more to the computer side. So what now ?

Nothing is plugged into the "Digital In/Out" Section of my tascam ... I dont even know what it's for. Could this help me solve my problem ?

Nothing is plugged into the "Digital In/Out" Section of my tascam ... I dont even know what it's for. Could this help me solve my problem ?

Nope. It's all about that MON MIX knob.

What you want to do is record whatever way you want, then uncheck the record arm on your vocal track, and turn knob to computer.

That way you'll get playback, without the live feedback.

Alternatively, you could leave it set fully to computer, then use the track fader to adjust the vocal level for the singer.
Same applies, turn off record arm when you want to listen back.

Nope. It's all about that MON MIX knob.

What you want to do is record whatever way you want, then uncheck the record arm on your vocal track, and turn knob to computer.

That way you'll get playback, without the live feedback.

Alternatively, you could leave it set fully to computer, then use the track fader to adjust the vocal level for the singer.
Same applies, turn off record arm when you want to listen back.

WOOHOO. Some progression is coming :D
How ever, that means when Im recording my mic I need to to be inbetween Input/Computer, and I need the LINE OUT to be set all the way down. And once im done i have to turn the mon mix to computer, and line out to how loud I want it.

This is ALOT better then what I had before. Question now is it possible to not have to constantly turn the mon mix to inbetween Input and computer, to computer, and then the line out up ?

What is the "Alternative" method you suggested, I didnt get that one. What track fader? in my daw ?

Yes, the fader in your daw.

Basically, you used to use the monitor knob to adjust the level of vocals vs backing track while someone was recording.

If you leave it all the way to computer you'll have to use the daw faders to manipulate the levels instead.

Unfortunately you still end up having to remember where the level was set each time you switch.
I use an inline gain plugin to adjust the level for the singer, then bypass it for listening back which works quite nicely.

Make sense?

Yes, the fader in your daw.

If you leave it all the way to computer you'll have to use the daw faders to manipulate the levels instead

Make sense?

If I leave it all the way to computer, I can't hear my mic. Only what is coming out of the computer ( the instrumental ) . How would I make the MIC come out the COMPUTER aswell, so then i could hear my mic with it ?

Really?
What software did you say you were using?

The usual way is that if a track is armed for recording, you should be able to hear it in real time.

The manual talks about "playback while monitoring incoming audio." so it must be an option.

Actually hit record as if you were tracking some vocals and see if you can hear it then.
Obviously make sure the track fader is up too.

The manual talks about "playback while monitoring incoming audio." so it must be an option.

Actually hit record as if you were tracking some vocals and see if you can hear it then.
Obviously make sure the track fader is up too.

Nah obviously that didn't work, as that is my problem.
Manual is here -- > http://help.adobe.com/en_US/audition/cs/using/audition_cs5.5_help.pdf

I cant find it ... alot of stuff around page 27-30 in my problem area, but nothing to what I need ?

Back