consoles compatable with cubase

chalklit

I am planning on beginning a mid-level home studio and have seen most of the things I woulld need, but I'm having trouble with choosing an appropriate console for Cubase (sx). My budget is inside US$4000 and won't mind it being used. Please suggest types/models and sites.

Would like at least 24 daw/faders. Sceptical about the Tascam US-2400. What else is out there? Also thinking of using other operating software - nuendo, studio logic, protools. All suggestions appreciated.

The vast majority of soundcards/interfaces (with asio drivers) should be compatible with cubase. it is not a hardware-dependent program, like protools.

Do you mean mixing consoles or control surfaces? While outwardly similar, they are very different from one another.

If you mean control surfaces, anything that's compatible with Mackie HUI control standards is compatible... This includes stuff such as Mackie Universal Control, the Tascam stuff, the Behri units although those are noisy... At the high end Euphonix has a DAW control station.

thanks u guys

Thanks much u guys especially for the explanation of the difference between console and control. I've been getting help from seb site for tweakheadz - its been really great - now I'm deciding between the behringer mx9000 or the mackie 32-8. Any opinions or warnings?

Read Manuals Closely Before Buying

I just picked up a Frontier Tranzport. It supports almost every DAW program, except Cubase SE. I use LE it uses the 'Mackie Control' mode for that.
I'm just adding this here because it struck me as odd that this device can be with so many programs -check this out - http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort/Reviews

but not Cubase SE, arguably a popular program. I know you're using SX, dude, but just RTFM to make sure.

Good luck,

JD

Thanks but still need more help

Hey u guys, thanks lots. I am still researching/studying online, looking at forums, etc learning the ropes. I am considerng buying a analogue mixer really rather than a controller - I am wondering about the importance of the meter bridge, and also if I will still need an audio interface to accompany the anologue mixer! Thanks for the help so far. I was this mixer that they say has not been coming to the states anymore but seems great - Ramsa DA7 - what u know about this one? Regarding the frontier, rather something with faders! Please help!!!

You certainly have some research to be done then. The Ramsa DA7 is a DIGITAL mixer. It is not being manufactured anymore. I would actually be surprised if RAMSA is manufacturing any consoles anymore. They may not even be an intact company anymore. Anyhow, the DA7 is an "OK" piece of equipment. It does not sound horrible, but it is certainly no gem either. The good news is that they sell for dirt cheap on the used market. Too bad they don't have the same converters as the rest of the outboard RAMSA line, or they would be a real bargain:)

As far as a meter bridge goes, unless it is properly maintained and calibrated than it is not what I would consider a deal breaker. As long as you at least have signa;l and clip lights left, you could use the meters on your recording source combined with a little logic and stay safe that way. Having said that though, a proper metering setup can be a really nice tool:)

thanks

thanks u xtatic, still online looking at a lot of stuff. Too much info. I have to really make some decisions like - anolog or digital mixer and controller or console/Mixer. too much going through my mind. Really just want a great sound!

Back