Console stereo conversion

Muckelroy

Hey y'all,

There's a possibility that I might be picking up a console stereo soon. Don't worry it's free. I believe it's an RCA Victor brand though it's been a long time since I saw it in person. Not sure what model. I believe it's got an LP player, radio, and a quarter-track reel to reel under the hood.

stereo.jpeg

I don't know its functional condition. But, the wood work is in pretty dang good shape. I'd like to use this to house my current-era 5.1 receiver, DVD player, Apple TV, DVR, and other shenanigans in the living room.

I certainly don't need the speakers in this thing. Maybe they sound OK but from what I've heard, even in their time, these units were never considered "true hi-fi".

I'm OK with gutting it and maybe making something similar to this happen: 7 ideas to house a flatscreen TV in your retro interior (see the second picture.)

It would be nice to keep, at minimum, the LP player intact. That's a hefty wish list though. I was digging around and can find very little online about conversions for these things. I'm not all that interested in the reel-to-reel. Even if I was, this is a consumer-grade unit in there. I'll be willing to bet that the reel to reel, LP player, radio, etc... is all housed in one massive mess of a chassis under there, so separating stuff out to make room for other components could be nearly impossible.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what y'all thought. Am I pissing on the analog gods by gutting the old electronics and making it into a beautiful, functional piece of furniture? OR has anyone seen a project like this where the existing LP player was preserved with new amplifiers added in?

Thanks.

*EDIT*
I already have speakers in the living room. They're all in-wall, with the exception of the center channel, which needs to sit on a shelf somewhere.

Last edited:
Another possibly crazy idea I'm poking around in my neurons is to install an electric fireplace insert into the front. Oh dear. What am I thinking? :)

aaaand I just received word that this thing "does not work"... whatever that means :)

I will asses it after I pick this thing up on the weekend and see if it's got any easy fixes or not. Maybe this whole topic belongs elsewhere on a completely different forum. But it barely touches on the subject of "analog recording" at least on a consumer level.

This will probably be my last post about this topic here. I will continue this saga elsewhere, probably on Audiokarma.org or some other Hi-Fi system forum. I simply thought it was too cool to miss following-up on. Looks like a Magnavox 8802-00 power amp, and some yet-to-be-identified preamp components with the LP player. Gonna have fun with this one :)
photo 1.JPG

Back