Considering switching from ProTools to Reaper

RadicalDelusion

I have been using ProTools for 22 years, and any looking at the GUI of any other DAW, to me, is like trying to read Sanskrit. I'm so used to the avid ProTools visual layout. I like the fact that Reaper is customizable (and and I have tried some skins and make it look like ProTools. I was wondering if there's any way to make the menus and commands more like ProTools to shorten the learning curve. I have a project I really need to work on. I'm just about done with avid & their ridiculous subscription pricing and planned obsolescence. Not to mention Apple is trying to shut them out and put them out of business and make logic number one. I also like the fact Reaper works on Ubuntu, which I'm thinking of switching to exclusively, as I loathe windows (nothing personal, just hate the visual layout with my ADHD), and I'm starting to dislike Mac OS as well, for different reasons. I found the skins that I need. I was just wondering if there're any scripts that can make reaper accept the shortcuts ProTools uses and make the dropdown menus close to the same? If that's the case, then I can get up to speed very quickly. Much appreciated if anybody has the info I need

Setting up keyboard shortcuts is dead easy on Reaper - just go to the Actions menu and display all the actions. You can then edit away as much as you like. As Markmann says, a search around the Reaper forum will probably bring up some ready made scripts.

I have been using ProTools for 22 years, and any looking at the GUI of any other DAW, to me, is like trying to read Sanskrit. I'm so used to the avid ProTools visual layout. I like the fact that Reaper is customizable (and and I have tried some skins and make it look like ProTools. I was wondering if there's any way to make the menus and commands more like ProTools to shorten the learning curve. I have a project I really need to work on. I'm just about done with avid & their ridiculous subscription pricing and planned obsolescence. Not to mention Apple is trying to shut them out and put them out of business and make logic number one. I also like the fact Reaper works on Ubuntu, which I'm thinking of switching to exclusively, as I loathe windows (nothing personal, just hate the visual layout with my ADHD), and I'm starting to dislike Mac OS as well, for different reasons. I found the skins that I need. I was just wondering if there're any scripts that can make reaper accept the shortcuts ProTools uses and make the dropdown menus close to the same? If that's the case, then I can get up to speed very quickly. Much appreciated if anybody has the info I need
Reaper sound better than Pro Tools TDM , HD , HDX ?

After your time with protools, my personal feelings (especially if you have ADHD) is that the years of experience mean that you are efficient and experienced. A swap of application means you revert to beginner status, with even the simplest need requiring searching through the menus and even online. I've been a cubase user since the mid 90's, and have been tempted many times but I just need software to do what I want. At worst, I use google to find the menu a little used feature is hiding in, but I installed reaper on my office computer and tried a few times and it just annoyed me so much, I got frustrated and have never used it again. Protools is a tried and tested system and once you understand it, you are efficient and quick. How much time can you put into forgetting everything and starting again. Reaper is NOT better, it's just different. Every Cubase upgrade costs me money but I do not regret it. I can just carry on recording and working. Starting from scratch scare me to death. All the non MS or Apple operating systems do too. I might moan about my Mac and windows, but open source, where everything is constantly in flux scares me.

I wasn't locked into any particular DAW, but had used Cubase LE (v1 and 5) because they came with my recorders. They were ok. I tried Reaper around 2013, liked it, and have stuck with it. I didn't really find it easier or harder to use than Cubase, I don't use anywhere near the total capability of the program, but I have the tools I need.

Since all I am using it for is personal recording, I couldn't justify going to a subscription model so Protools was out. It's the same reason that I use Open Office instead of MS Office 365. Plus I love being able to put Reaper on any of my computers. I have several and depending on where I am, I can fire Reaper up.

I don't know that I could hear any difference between the various DAWs. My "golden ears" have too much tarnish on them. I just know that I can fire up my computer, plug in a mic or two, sit down with my guitar and go, and it sounds better than anything that I tried to do 40 years ago.

I don't know that I could hear any difference between the various DAWs.

There shouldn't be a difference in sound between DAWs so your ears are fine. In the really early days certain DAWs had issues with dithering (or lack of) but most do it properly now. The only DAW (that I know of) that deliberately has a "sound" is Harrison's Mixbus which tries to emulate the sound of a Harrison console.

I've mentioned a number of times before that I started with Logic when it was still available on PC, then switched to Reaper early in the new century when Logic became Mac only.

I had to unlearn stuff and learn new stuff, but even though the two DAWs were quite different, my experience with the first (and particularly an understanding of how DAWs work) helped with the transition.

I have also mentioned in the past that thought I became reasonably fluent with Logic, I was never really comfortable with it. With Reaper, the story was different . . . it did things the way I expected them to be done and I adapted to it comfortably and easily.

I am currently working on a project remixing someone's tracks. He uses PT. He brings his stems to me, and he watches over my shoulder while I mess with them in Reaper. He often comments on how quick and eaqsy it is, and wishes PT could do the same.

The best part of Reaper (besides being completely customizable to how you want it to work...) is that it has an Action List and if you don't know how to do something you can just type in some "key words" in the Action List and chances are you'll be able to find exactly what you're trying to do.

What skins / where available?

Thanks a lot! Which one worked best for you - might help (ADHD) me too.

Another thing that's helped me is assigning icons to folder-tracks - like Experiments, Development and Production (keeping all in the same REAPER Project)
(I'm trying to get the best audio enhancement I can out of footage with a dodgy inbuilt camera-mic - the main mic having failed)

Sorry, I don't use a ProTools Theme, just know of the Stash where all the Themes/Reaper Stuff is located. I use a Theme that isn't there anymore I don't think... some form of Commala 5 Theme. Customizing Reaper is (to me personally) the best thing about Reaper.

Back