Connectivity

Dj17

I have new projects and I need to think my stuff all over again. Help me.

My music is mostly computer based. I have a *great* PC so no worries. I use Reason, Cubase, Sonar and various plug-ins. I'm very familiar with all of this software. I'm retarded hardware-wise, though.

I already own an AP 2496 soundcard, but it can be traded anytime.

Here's what I need to do:

I need to record guitar/bass/vocals. 1 track at a time. I need to hear the Reason/Cubase/Sonar tracks in playback while I record what I play/sing. I won't record guitar/bass by mic'ing my amp because my amp *sucks*. I'll just plug the guitars in whatever preamp I'll be using and add distortion with various Boss pedals or Amplitube/Izotope plug-ins. The music is industrial rock/techno-ish, so I don't need the tracks to sound too "real". I just don't want to record too much hiss/unnecessary background noise, if that is possible.

I also need inputs for my monitors. I will eventually need an input for my headphones too (for tracking vocals and listening late at night.)

I don't want to get a mixer yet because I don't need the extra channels. Real drums are recorded elsewhere if needed, anyway.

I thought I *could* trade my current soundcard for the Tascam US122, but many XP users (which I am) have had trouble with it. It *does* provide the connectivity I need (with an extra channel) but I'm concerned with the *quality of the preamps* and the whole Win XP problems. But I don't really know many products like the Tascam US122. What are it's competitors?

I also thought I could get a good 1-channel preamp and hook it up somehow, but the connectivity is gonna suck. Help.

I'm pretty LOST because I never buy *recording* hardware. Things have always been PC+software+midi controller+speakers, and it served me WELL. After that, I'm lost.

I'll have around 300$ for that. Around 400$ if I trade the card.

Thanks a lot.

Back