Connections Question

Doowah

Okay, based on a ton of research on this site, I pulled the trigger and ordered an FMR RNP preamp and the FMR RNC compressor as the first new pieces of equipment for my current home studio project. (Got smoking deals on both, BTW. Only $125 for the RNC and $400 for the RNP, both units brand new, cashing in on holiday specials from one of the big online music stores!)

Next major purchases will be a Soundcraft M8 mixer and an audio interface (undecided on which one still). My typical newbie question concerns how to connect this gear up, focusing only on the hook-ups for recording at this point. The Soundcraft mixer will also be used for monitoring purposes, but I'm not concerned with that part of the equation just yet.

I'm thinking along the lines of something like this:

Microphone (or other source) into the appropriate input on the preamp (XLR or TRS or Hi-Z), with the compressor connected to the preamp via the insert jacks on the preamp. The part of this whole thing that I need help with is connecting the preamp output to the Soundcraft mixer and/or the audio interface. Since both of those subsequent units in the signal chain also have built-in preamps, do I connect the RNP's outputs into the line-level inputs of the mixer and/or audio interface, bypassing their subsequent (redundant) preamp sections?

Do I have this figured out correctly?

Am I correct in assuming that if I intend to only use the RNP as my preamp, then all other connections after the preamp should be at line-level? Or am I missing something here?

As always, thanks for the help, and I apologize if this is a dumb question.

You are right. After preamp everything has to be line level connection. Actually you can also connect thecompreesor to preamp line out. Just make sure that standard levels are the same, +4 dB on the output and -10dB on the input will not work.

Cheerz!!

You are right. After preamp everything has to be line level connection. Actually you can also connect thecompreesor to preamp line out. Just make sure that standard levels are the same, +4 dB on the output and -10dB on the input will not work.

Cheerz!!

Thanks for the verification, vijsolo! :)

... holiday specials from one of the big online music stores.

Is it a secret? ;)

Share the info!
icon14.gif

Is it a secret? ;)

Share the info!
icon14.gif

Every so often, I get e-mails from Sam Ash about their specials. Just like I get from all the other guys like Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, & American Musical Supply, etc. I usually don't bite on Sam Ash's offers because I like Musician's Friend and just do most of my online music equipment business with them. But around Halloween, I got an e-mail from Sam Ash advertising $50 off orders of $150 or more. That's a pretty good deal, and just for grins I searched their site for an FMR RNC. I was amazed that it actually came up in the search results, for $175. I immediately placed an order online, but had trouble getting it to go through. So, long story short, I phoned in the order and confirmed that I could still use the promo code on a phone order since the website was acting wonky, so I got the FMR RNC for $125. Of course they were backordered and I have to wait for a couple of weeks, but that's cool.

Then, a couple of days ago I received another e-mail from Sam Ash. This time they were offering a promo code for $75 off any order over $399. Since I already knew that they also carried the FMR RNP, I swooped in and made another purchase. Regular price of $475, so I got it for $400. Of course it is ALSO backordered, so I have to wait. But that's okay, since I'm still in the beginning stages of getting my room ready for the studio, and what the hell - I saved $125, ya know?

For the record, the promo code for the $50 offer was SPOOKY, and the promo code for the $75 offer was GIFTGUIDE. I don't believe that those codes are still valid, though, since e-mail specials usually have a relatively short window before they expire. I'll be sure to share any future offers that arrive in my e-mail inbox in a more timely manner.

Now I'm watching for a chance to buy my Soundcraft M8 mixer at a discount via online specials. It could happen, especially with the holiday season approaching.

Back