Connections Please...

jeffteel

Where can I get some good quality audio cables and connectors?

I need to go from my 424mkIII to the 1/8" line in on my computer sound card.

Thanks!

P.S. Please don't say Radio Shack

Let's see... I think they have Guitar Centers in Oregon - you could try there. If not, most large music stores (chains) should have what you're looking for. Or there's always Radio Shack (couldn't resist) :)

Yeah, check out the chain music stores. also their catalogs and websites, as they usually have several pages on cables and stuff. I'm pretty sure that Tascam makes a two rca to an 1/8" cable, and I'm sure Hosa does, and I think both are acceptable quality. I use a two rca to a 1/4" with an 1/8" adapter 'cause that's what I had laying around.

Ok, it’s easy enough to get the basic stuff 1/8:1/4/RCA etc. but what about taking it the next step up. I have in my mind that there is a beautiful device that has inputs for ¼”, midi, and xlr., and sends it out to a 1/8” jack or a IDE line. I guess a mixer of sorts. I assume the IDE port on my SoundBlaster Live Value is an input (?).
Anyone seen anything like this?

It seems downright primitive to be snapping adapters on guitar cables to get a signal into a sound card.

Blippy, the "beautiful device" you describe is the mixer itself. In this case, the Tascam tape unit, which has all the inputs you describe, is performing that function. Any mixer needs to be cabled to the soundcard, and since the Tascam line outs are two rca's, you need a cable that combines those down into one 1/8" to the soundcard. I just use an adapter cuz that is what I have handy. Primitive? perhaps. Does it do what I need adequately without spending more dough? certainly. OR:

You can spend several hundred or more bucks and get a cool soundcard with all sorts of inputs and just plug your axe or mics directly into that, and use your multitrack software as a mixer. Which is where we'd all like to be.

I hear ya!

raji,
picked up some Hosa rca/1:8 and ran them from my 4 track, sounds good and the connection is solid. Cost: 7 clams. Good deal. I also ran the SB output through my 4 track for monitoring purposes, allowing me to use the computer for output purposes too (synth). cool beans

Back