connecting

DTBlalock

i just got my first recorder (Fostex VF-16) and I need a mixer. I want a mixer that you can have a direct output for each channel. Looking at musicians friend, etc this is hard to find. However I noticed an "insert." is there any way this insert can act as a direct out to go straight to each channel of the recorder?

DTBlalock said:
i just got my first recorder (Fostex VF-16) and I need a mixer.
If I had my first VF-16 my first thought would be to see how far I could get with just the machine and the mixer built in.

Yes, there are ways to use insert points as direct outs - they differ slightly in implementation from mixer to mixer - but it can be done on most. The question is why do you need insert points when you've got compression and EQ (the two main insert point uses) right onboard the VF-16?

My advice would be to do five or six projects with the machine alone and then see you feel about using an additional mixer.

ssscientist said:
If I had my first VF-16 my first thought would be to see how far I could get with just the machine and the mixer built in.

Yes, there are ways to use insert points as direct outs - they differ slightly in implementation from mixer to mixer - but it can be done on most. The question is why do you need insert points when you've got compression and EQ (the two main insert point uses) right onboard the VF-16?

My advice would be to do five or six projects with the machine alone and then see you feel about using an additional mixer.

the main reason is because there are 8 inputs but only 2 of them are xlr with phantom power. I need 6 xlr inputs.

Then get this if you can stand not having insert points/direct outs and directing whatever you're going to be putting thru it down the 4 busses out to individual tracks on the Fostex, or look around for a used Mackie 1202vlz and only the vlz. The 1202vlz has 4 mic pres that don't sound as good as the Yamaha, but it does have insert points/direct outs for all four.

Back