connecting stereo receiver to a laptop

nimra

Hi guys! Is it safe to connect my laptop to an old stereo receiver I have so I can use its speakers?

I'm asking the question because some time ago I've been connecting 40W computer speakers to my laptop directly (in it's sound card port) and I think the sound card broke because of it. So now I have this external (USB) sound card and I was thinking of connecting it to my stereo receiver so I can use it for guitar pro and practicing.

Connecting 40w computer speakers to an internal soundcard on your laptop should not cause any damage to the soundcard.

Likewise, connecting a stereo receiver to your USB soundcard should not cause any problems . . . so long as you connect from the soundcard's audio out to the receiver's audio in.

Yup, Line out from any sound card to line in on speakers (or your receiver) shouldn't cause any issues at all. Indeed, I've done similar myself in the past.

Connecting 40w computer speakers to an internal soundcard on your laptop should not cause any damage to the soundcard.

Likewise, connecting a stereo receiver to your USB soundcard should not cause any problems . . . so long as you connect from the soundcard's audio out to the receiver's audio in.

Maybe he connected them to the mic input!

Back