Connecting guitar amp to 2488 NEO

Goodallboy

Obviously this being my second post, home recording is all new to me. My questions at this point won't be very thought provoking but I really appreciate the level of knowledge on this forum and being able to ask a question.
I was told I could record my guitar amp by going from the speaker out, into the NEO. I tried that today and was not successful. I wasn't sure which channel to use (A-D or E-H), so I tried one of each. With either one, I could not get a clean signal, it was far too distorted. Even with the Trim all the way off it was distorting. I was using a Shielded Audio Cable if that helps in determining my problem. Thanks for any help you can offer.:guitar:

holy crap you can't do that!!!!

It's not impossible that you damaged that input of the Neo.
Even if you didn't you easily could so don't do that again.

The inputs of the neo are meant for either a mic or a line level signal depending on which input you choose.
To record your amp into the Neo you need to use either a mic in front of the speaker or, if your amp has a line/preamp/recording out you can use that into a line level input.

But the line outs rarely sound really good so a mic is best unless you have volume issues where you record at.

But you can NOT run an amp's speaker out into an input of that unit.
Someone gave you some BAD advice.

Listen to Bob.

You most definitely can not run the speaker out into the NEO, or any preface for that matter.

If you want to use your amp you will need to mic it in order to get the cab tones.

You could also plug your guitar direct into the input on the front of the unit. Now you can use the internal effects. The input will be found on channel 8 of the NEO.

I'll point out that not only may you have toasted the front end of an innocent Neo, it is quite possible that yer about to wreck yer amp, depending on how many outs it has and how much load it needs on the output side.

Don't do that, that's about all anyone can say.

rct

I'll point out that not only may you have toasted the front end of an innocent Neo, it is quite possible that yer about to wreck yer amp, depending on how many outs it has and how much load it needs on the output side.

Don't do that, that's about all anyone can say.

rct
true dat!

I didn't even think about the poor amp in my horror over the poor Neo!.

That could definitely damage an amp ....... tube amp especially.

Incredible! Hopefully I got a pass for being innocently ignorant, both the amp and the NEO appreared to be OK last night.
Thanks to all for responding.

Hey we all learn the hard way.
I once took a turntable and unhooked the cartridge and connected my guitar to it.
I got one big distorted second of the sound of circuits dying and then my phono was toast.
Ha I remember thinking how cool I was to figure out I could actually connect my guitar to my phono.
Man I miss those days of wreck and ruin.

"My questions at this point won't be very thought provoking..."
"holy crap you can't do that!!!!"

How not to be "...very thought provoking..." It did make me chuckle reading this. Glad his amp and Neo are OK though... its a real downer when you try something so inocent and get toasted gear...

Zeek

Back