connecting external CDRW to Korg digital recorder

virtual_jazzbo

I've recently purchased an external CDRW for my D12 digital recorder, and it is connected properly. It is an approved burner per Korg's website. The recorder recognizes that the CD burner is connected & properly assigned to the G drive. However, I can't perform any operations. I get an "Illegal Drive/Operation" error. Do you have to load the Adaptec software onto the digital recorder like you would if it was a PC? Am I missing something?

VJ,

I'm not getting enough info from your post to really have any clue what's wrong, but I can describle my setup for you, and mention a gotcha or two....

Gotcha's -
SCSI ID numbers. If the external device is set to the same ID as the recorder it would definately cause trouble. (I'm assuming you are connected via SCSI as opposed to fire-wire or direct audio link of any kind, am I correct?)

Also, SCSI termination; does the ROM self-terminate? Does it have a dipswitch to toggle termination? Maybe you need a physical terminator?

My setup -
I dont have the Korg, but I do have a HD recorder with an external ROM (Akai DPS16 and PlexWriter 12/10/32S). The way I set it up when I got my ROM was as follows:

1. power off all equipment
2. check SCSI id numbers (scour your Korg manual to find it's ID, then set the ROM to a different number. Also, the Korg manual may say to NOT use certain other numbers as well, so read carefully.)
3. attach the SCSI cable. Be very careful - those tiny "pins" in the connectors are pretty fragile, and if one of them gets bent it could lead to catastrophe.
4. power-up the ROM and awit till it is "ready"
5. power-up the Korg, and hopefully everything is working as intended!

-Shaz

maybe one other thing to try too

one other thing, VJ...

I know that with my Akai DPS16 there have been some "OS Updates" released since this model went into production and the same may be true for your D12, so one other thing to be sure to do is check the Korg support site carefully to see if perhaps you need to do some sort of update to your recorder.

Best of luck, welcome to the site, and let me know if none of this is helpful (though I'm not sure what else I could recommend... try posting more detail if you still have trouble, please.)

-Shaz

Shaz, since you didn't mention it and you are using an external burner, then I'm assuming that I DONT have to load any Adaptec software onto the Korg. That answers my biggest question. As far as you other things to check, the SCSI settings are set the same on both Korg and Yamaha
CDRW (#6). #6 is actually the G drive on the Korg. The connection is a SCSI-2 on the Korg to a 50 pin Centronics on the CDRW. TheCDRW has a physical terminator on the other 50 pin on the back. The Korg itself also has the latest updated software, Version 2.1, released in July 2001. I found Korg's customer service number, so I guess I'll see if they can figure out the deal. I powered up the CXDRW first (as instructions stated) then powered up the Korg. A couple of times the Korg would not fully load the software,....sort of get stuck in a loop trying to load. Thanks for the thelp and the welcome.

I'm assuming that I DONT have to load any Adaptec software onto the Korg

Sorry I wasn't specific on that point. I'm not ruling it out, but if so it's the first I've heard of it. Once you hear back from Korg you can surely get clarity on that question though.

the SCSI settings are set the same on both Korg and Yamaha CDRW (#6). #6 is actually the G drive on the Korg

I think that's the problem then. The way SCSI works, is that you can "chain" SCSI devices together, but each one needs a UNIQUE id# so they don't get confused about who is who, so to speak. Change the id# of the external CDRW and you should be in business (you need to power-off the CDRW to change the id#.)

If the first change doesn't work, try a different one. It should work on the first or second try though.

-Shaz

Shaz, I sort of mislead you on "setting the SCSI" on the Korg. Whatever SCSI # ID that the CDRW is set to,...that is what the Korg is automatically going to show. The manual specifically says to put both the Korg D12 on #6 and the CDRW on #6. What it's trying to say is that if you have your CDRW on #6, you can find it by accessing the "G" drive on the Korg (which is considered #6. If I change the CDRW to #5, then the Korg automatically selects #5 (or the F drive). E drive is #4, etc.

I've been told that it's possible that the firmware version of the CDRW might not be high enough, so I'm going to try and check that out. There is a notation on the Korg website that if you use this particular model, you need a firmware version of 1.0J or higher. I have to do it at work though because I dont have a SCSI card on my computer at home.

I've actually gotten past the illegal drive error, but when I write to CD, the Korg is suppose to ask me if I want to write it at 2X or 4X. Instead, it says "Getting CD information"..... and it just sits there.

Back