Connecting audio interface to desktop moniters

powerbob247

Hi

I have a question
I have an M audio fast track ll audio interface and a pair of M audio AV32 monitors.
I want to know how to connect these together to hear what I'm recording and mixing, the interface has an RCA as the only output, obviously a headphone out too, the monitors have RCA also and also a aux in and headphone out, the moniters came with two cables, a red and white RCA cable to a 1/8 cable but my interface doesn't have a 1/8 input just us RCA out like the monitors, also came with a 1/8 to 1/8 or standard aux cable, so I don't no how to connect them, any ideas?
Thanks, I took pics but doesn't look like I can upload em

Just use the RCA outs of the M Audio Fast Track to the inputs on the powered AV32. It looks like you have to use a bit of ordinary speaker wire to got from the amped speaker to the other (right) one.

Unless there's a good reason to use the headphone out on the speakers, just ignore it. It's there for people without a proper external interface where you have a single 1/8th inch out on a built in computer sound card. Since you have the Fast Track you don't need it.

Plug your headphones into the Fast Track. Use the Output level control to set the volume and the Direct Monitor Switch on the front panel to switch between playback monitoring and direct monitoring when tracking.

The only inputs on the av32s are RCA (same as RCA outs on fast track) and I don't have an RCA to RCA cable, it only came with RCA to 1/8, yes it came with that bit of cable to connect both monitors so that's done,

Hokay! The AV32s DO have a 1/8" jack input, on the front next to the H/P out so you could use the supplied RCA to 1/8" jplug but why M-A don't supply an RC-RCA lead beggars belief! It is surely THE most likely connection regime for a budget home studio? And these cables cost companies PENNIES!!

But, although that M-A interface is said to be pretty good for the money (would not have been MY choice but TYG!) them's NOT monitors! They are rather superior PC speakers.
A proper monitor would have XLR and TRS jacks for connection (probably a "combo" XLR) and maybe unbalanced RCAs. I strongly suggest you trade the AV32s for something better ASAP.

If that is not possible an RCA-RCA cable is what you need and they are very cheap from Amazon (or RockBottom shops over here)

BTW, you should be able to post attachments (or do they come under the 10 posts rule as well? ) You need to be in "Advanced" answer mode then scroll down to "Manage Attachments"

Dave.

I thought of connecting the RCA from fast track to 1/8 in on front of speaker where it says aux but thought this wouldn't be the best option for transfer of sound / best quality, but if you think this would be fine then I'll go off that and problem solved, otherwise I could just buy an RCA to RCA if this is recommended instead? Thank you ?

I imagine the cable they provide is because the AV32 is aimed as a computer speaker plugged into an internal sound card rather than a monitor plugged into an interface. An RCA-RCA cable costs a couple of dollars if you don't have them but, if your house is like mine, you probably have a drawer full of them because almost every time you buy a DVD or CD player or satellite receiver or whatever you get a new one. FYI, if you have one with the Red and White audio leads combined with a Yellow video one, you can use that and just ignore the video.

If you're anywhere near Queensland I'll give you a cable...I must have at least 20 of them!

"If you're anywhere near Queensland I'll give you a cable...I must have at least 20 of them! "

Is the OP in Oz then Bobbs? If he is perchance in UK I too can donate a cable to the cause.

Dave......Er? Isn't Queensland about the size of Wales?

Gracious but alas I'm in the UK, so which is better in my situation RCA to RCA or RCA to 1/8 aux input on front of speaker?

Fire it up with the RCA to 1/8 just to get yourself going but next time you're shopping grab an RCA-RCA just to tidy things up and not have cables hanging out the front. When I lived in the UK even places like Tesco had RCA to RCA so they're easy to find.

Back