Connecting Amp To PA

jalbert

I have a Marshall AS100D that I'm going to hook up to a small PA system for a live gig. When I've tried running either the DI out's or the LINE OUT's into a mic input on my tapedeck the sound is always horribly distorted no matter what I do. Will I have this problem when I plug into the PA's mixing board? What kind of input does the PA need for the signal from the amp to sound good? Should I use the DI's or the LINE OUT's? Also, I'd like to possibly run a line from one of the amps out's into a digital recorder. Will I have the same problem doing that as I had with the tapedeck? Thanks.

The amp Line out is a line level signal and a mic input jack on a board is mic level, which is much lower. Many boards have a gain control to set for line level and sometimes that works well and sometimes it does not.

Many board has separate connections, usually using a 1/4 jack, for line level inputs. That combo usually works best.

Recorder inputs work the same way.

Ed

jalbert said:
I have a Marshall AS100D that I'm going to hook up to a small PA system for a live gig. When I've tried running either the DI out's or the LINE OUT's into a mic input on my tapedeck the sound is always horribly distorted no matter what I do. Will I have this problem when I plug into the PA's mixing board? What kind of input does the PA need for the signal from the amp to sound good? Should I use the DI's or the LINE OUT's? Also, I'd like to possibly run a line from one of the amps out's into a digital recorder. Will I have the same problem doing that as I had with the tapedeck? Thanks.

The distortion comes from plugging a line out into a mic in; the signal is too hot.

If the PA has XLR in's and channel trim, you sould be able to match levels and get a good signal through the mains.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I'm sure with all the options you've given me I'll find some way to make it work.
And a special thanks to whoever felt compelled to give me some more negative Rep points. If that square ever turns green I'll have to change my signature and I don't think I remember how to do it.

Back