Connecting a general midi synth with a PC

Swords

I've been gone from music a long time so my question probably seems pretty dim witted but maybe someone will take pitty on me...

I've been planning to get the Fantom X synth cos it has a sampler + keyboard so I can create sounds. However while I'm saving up the $ for it I've been reading the mags and I'm noticing that there's a lot more sound creation (sampling) and processing on the PC in the form of software synths and super high quality sound libraries like the massive orchestral sets. I want complete flexability with creating and accuiring sounds and it's starting to look like the software synth setup is the way to go instead of buying new synth hardware.
I don't need to worry about portability of sounds on disks or anything so would I be better getting a pimped out PC dedicated to music and using the old keyboard I already have, it's a 76 key Yamaha DG205 which has a PC mode & General midi settings + a USB cable output. Will this midi keyboard work for all those different software programs like Absynth and those orchesral sets or do you have to have a special Midi controller keyboard? Are there specific controllers that have to be used with specific software synth programs?

Sorry, I'm such a technology dunce!

Swords said:
Will this midi keyboard work for all those different software programs like Absynth and those orchesral sets

Yes. It might not have as much control function as those that have sliders or knobs, but it will work.

I just got a new Keyboard, a Yamaha MM6. It has 4 knobs for cutoff filter, resonance, attack and release. I didnt think I would use them but I find that I use them all the time. The other thing this keyboard does is transmit on 3 channels at once, so you could control an absynth sound and a reason sound at the same time, while of course adding a Yamaha sound or three.

Stuff like that is hardly crucial. For me and the way I work, I need speed. I like the hardware synths for that, just press a button and play. Softsynths are OK, the best of both worlds is to have a decent hardware and software selection. I have all my "bread and butter" sounds on my Roland and Yamaha synths. If I need other stuff, I have a Prophet (Pro53), Dx7, FruityLoops, and some other softsynths. I am biased and prefer the hardware a LOT more, then again I have 23 years experience with them, I fear change. :D
super high quality sound libraries like the massive orchestral sets.

I am a classical composer and orchestrator. Yes, the sample libraries are great, I wish I had some. :o At the same time, you might be surprised at some synths. For some tunes, my lowly JV1010 is better than the libraries for certain patches. That's why (for me) its important to have a wide selection. The Fantom is a mighty fine machine, most Roland synths are.

Thanks for the info! So the knobs and faders on a midi keyboard can be linked to the on screen knobs and faders in the software synth programs? That would be nice - of course, mine doesn't have any! :(

I'll have to sell off the rest of my orchids and carnivorous plants to afford more music stuff! :)

Swords said:
Thanks for the info! So the knobs and faders on a midi keyboard can be linked to the on screen knobs and faders in the software synth programs?

You bet. I didnt have any knobs until recently, and it's lotsa fun controlling software synths in real time. Some have templates already set up in the hardware synth, like This one Watch the video at the bottom of the page, it will show you a bit about it. :)

Cool, I checked the site, I'll read/explore it in a moment. Tomorrow I'm gonna go and ask what I would need to get started from a naked powered up PC and get a price on everything at the music shop where they have all the controller synths and midi stuff & software. While It might be more initially for the PC and midi controller synth but the insane flexibility of a new synths and vast archives of sound libraries anytime I want them without having to have room for another keyboard is pretty awesome.

Can you (or anyone) reccomend a good guide online or in a book format to midi that is upto date with discussing todays software synths, plug ins and DAW programs and how they work? I've found a few books but they are dated from like 2002 and all the mags say the stuff that's happening now is way beyond what was possible just two years ago.

Can you (or anyone) reccomend a good guide online or in a book format to midi that is upto date with discussing todays software synths, plug ins and DAW programs and how they work? I've found a few books but they are dated from like 2002 and all the mags say the stuff that's happening now is way beyond what was possible just two years ago

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/index.php

That will have it all

Back