connect Alesis dm5 midi

project000

Hi all,
Last time this forum was really helpfull so im going to try it again.

So i have bought an alesis dm5 and im trying to figure out how it works with the midi.
My plan is to record on ableton or FL via ezdrummer (of course) but since i only ever had usb midi, i cannot get my head around the midi to midi thing.

I have a firefly 302 and i have connected my drum's module midi OUT to the firefly midi IN. Correct?
now, from here? usually when i use the usb-midi i install it and everything goes smoothly. So now i have my hands a bit tied up.

Any help will be appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

The DM5 has no USB port so I'm super confused as to what your asking.

If you are using a midi to USB converter that's different. If you are using a midi cable from your drums module to your sound card that's different as well.

It sounds like you are connected right on the hardware side (as far as I can ascertain from your post) but you are missing something on the software side?

When you record midi you have to specify where that midi is coming from, in your case it looks like that would be the firefly.

I'm not a live or FL guy (my God I hate both of those programs so much) so I can't give you any help on how to do it in the software.

Im not fan of live either but it seem the best i could get, but its confusing and annoying. You are using cubase right? I did try it ages ago but i dont know, any suggestions?

Anyway the drum isnt connected via usb, it has midi to midi as you pointed out.
I'd like to make the drum module comunicate with my firefly so i can use vst's to record decent drum sessions.

Thanks

The drums once connected just will communicate with the firefly. If you have it connected like you say then you are all set to go on the hardware end. It's just a matter of routing it right within your computer.

Does it work when you use EZ drummer with toontrack solo (solo is an app)?

It doesnt, i can't hear anything. i even press the midi button on the dm5...i have looked everywhere but there is no video or topic asking anything similar.
I'll try tomorrow and see what happens. might be able to get more specific

Back