conga drums setup on stage

starber

In the process of assmebling conga drums on stage and curious if there is a "tried and true" way of configuring them with other percussion gear on stage that perhaps flows best for the drummer.

Are you a drummer who is adding congas to your kit - or a percussionist planning to work with a drummer?

I don't normally take my congas on a drum gig (I do however freelance as a hand percussionist). I do use various percussion items with my kit including mini timbales, various cow bells, jam blocks, chimes, etc.

However, I have used congas with my kit on a few occasions. When I do, I have them set up to the left of my hi-hit (I play right handed kit in a standard configuration). I also have the LP Gajete foot pedal set up left of my hi-hat

This allows me to play a conga pattern with my left hand and a cowbell clave' with my left foot while playing a snare/hi-hat pattern with my right hand and the kick drum with my right foot (it takes awhile to get the 4 way coordination down and I have to be relatively generic in the types of patterns I play).

Since I play right handed, I keep most of my percussion toys to my left (above and around the hi-hat) which allows me to plays accents and patterns with the left hand while keeping the groove with the right.

Back