Confusing hiss...

egriffi

Hey everybody, I'm having an odd recording problem which I think I may have figured out but wanted to get some other input on. I'm using a computer "re-built" for recording (i.e. a friend of mine ghetto-rigged it), a perfectly fine 8 track mixing board, and a variety of microphones. Initially, the microphones are flat-lined/not emitting any hiss. But as soon as an instrument is played into the board, the signal is automatically distorted by background hiss and the microphone is unable to return to its "fllatline" status (i.e. any silence AFTER recording an instrument is filled with hiss.) I've tried a variety of microphones, a variety of mic cords, have used a different plug-in to the computer (eighth inch) and can't seem to pinpoint the problem. My suspect is the computer's soundcard, but when I've had soundcard problems in the past the signal was usually detected by unplugging any recording device and simply letting the computer record itself. Typically a bad soundcard will sound distorted even though no signal is being processed. As I mentioned however, the signal is clean UNTIL an instrument is played into the program. Any thoughts?

Hey:
Welcome aboard. You're going to need to arm yourself with a little more information if you want to record onto your PC.
Have a look at this link... http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm .
It's a series of articles by someone who knows about recording. He uses a lot of humour but does impart a lot of information. When you're finished reading it, you will have a good understanding of how to get a clean sound from your microphone into the studio software (DAW) in your computer.
I don't know what "Ghetto Rigged" is and I have a pretty good idea why you are getting a lot of hiss but I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about that since I expect you to change your approach after you read Tweakheadz Guide.
How much are you prepared to spend?
Since you already have mics, all you will need to get you started is an audio interface.

Back